STVM students compete in Rocketry Challenge
|Photo courtesy of St. Vincent-St. Mary High School|
The event, for middle and high school students, is sponsored by the Aerospace Industries Association, the National Association of Rocketry and a number of industry partners to bolster student engagement in science, technology, engineering and math learning, according to event organizers. Teams were asked to design and build a model rocket that can travel to exactly 825 feet and back within 48 to 50 seconds while carrying two raw eggs that must return safely to the ground undamaged. Participants competed for $60,000 in scholarships and prizes and to move on to the national competition, according to event organizers.
Two of the five teams from STVM qualified to compete in the challenge, including: Team Delta, with Rupert Haas, Alex Morley, Ryan Schweter, Chaisay Letdara, Collin McCurry and Gabe Lidderdale; and Team Echo, with Nate Pohlman, Pat Finger, Kate Baughman, Steven Stamer, Lucia Vinzani, Joanne Lutman, Gu Zhao Yang and Julianne Stamer.
Team adviser Robert Engels said the teams were sponsored by National Machine Group in Stow.
Team Delta placed 85th out of 109 in the competition and Team Echo placed 70th. Last year, one of the school’s teams placed 13th.
Nine teams at the competition were disqualified, and there were several ties, according to event officials.
“We did not do as well as we expected and we were disappointed,” said Engels. “It was a very windy day, and we learned some things for next year.”
Engels said students also visited museums and other sites in nearby Washington, D.C.
Shown above are all STVM team members who attended the Rocketry Challenge event visiting the Space shuttle Discovery in the Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum.
For more details about TARC, visit rocketcontest.org.
More Education News
- Copley school board seeking high school principal
- Revere board asking for moratorium on state testing
- Revere PTA group names awardees
- Woodridge board asks state to monitor charter schools
- Students earn Eagle Scout honors
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Coventry Middle School teacher honored
- South Side Education News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Adventurers of the Year Amy and Dave Freeman - 3/27/2015
- Alice Tan Ridley - 3/27/2015
- Astronomy Club of Akron: NASA Chief Pilot Alan Mickelwright - 3/27/2015
- Brass Band of the Western Reserve - 3/28/2015
- Basket Weaving 101: Easter Basket - 3/28/2015