Revere school board approves bus purchase
At the June 24 Revere Local Schools Board of Education meeting, the board approved the purchase of four new school buses.
According to district officials, the district received bids from four companies: Bobby’s Truck and Bus Repair, Myers Equipment Corp., Cardinal Bus Sales & Service and Rush North Coast. The buses that will be purchased will all have a conventional body and can hold up to 72 passengers.
The company with the lowest bid was Rush North Coast with a price of $82,268 for buses that are ordered, and $80,234 for buses that are in stock. Board members approved purchasing three in stock buses and ordering the fourth.
According to Treasurer David Forrest, the company only had three of the buses the district needs in stock and therefore must order the fourth.
The buses will be paid from the Permanent Improvement Fund and the General Fund, according to district officials.
The district also has six buses to dispose of at this time, each worth about $2,000, according to Forrest. He said the district will sell them and use the profits for this purchase, as well.
Also during the meeting, the board:
- approved the final appropriations for fiscal year (FY) 2014 and temporary appropriations for FY 2015. According to Forrest, there was a difference of $68,000 between the initial appropriations and the final appropriations for FY 2014. The temporary appropriations for 2015 are 25 percent of what was spent the prior year, he said;
- approved agreements with Discovery Education, Empaco Equipment Corp., Strategic Environmental and Ecological Services Inc. and School Wires. According to Forrest, Discovery Education will provide services for distance learning in Revere; Empaco will remove an underground fuel storage tank outside of the administration building; Strategic Environmental will be present when Empaco removes the fuel tank and will test the soil and take steps to repair it if needed; and School Wires will continue to provide the district website and mobile application for smart phones;
- approved the acceptance of a $15,000 grant for the Leader in Me program at Hillcrest Elementary School and a $10,000 grant for the purchase of Chromebook carts at Revere Middle School. Acceptance of the grants is contingent on the district meeting all requirements;
- rejected all proposals received for an athletic trainer contract and will reissue a request for proposals. According to Forrest, due to miscommunications, Akron General Medical Center officials did not respond in the allotted time, so this will allow them and any other interested parties a chance to get their proposals in;
- approved the renewal of the information technology management service agreement with Epiphany Management Group;
- approved the renewal of the North American Technical Association (NOTA) contract for distance learning, a $500 matching grant for NOTA, renewal of membership in the Alliance for High Quality Education, the water treatment program with Aqua Science and a modification to the flexible spending account, which allows for $500 of carryover of unused contributions;
- approved an agreement with the Cleveland Clinic to provide services to four special education students for the 2014-15 school year;
- approved the certified list of Class of 2014 graduates;
- approved the resignation of Hillcrest Elementary School Principal Katie Kowza and the resignation of Terry Cistone, head girls track coach; and
- approved several personnel changes and supplemental contracts.
The board will meet for a special meeting July 8 at 5:30 p.m. in the Administration Building, 3496 Everett Road, and for its regular meeting July 15 at 6:30 p.m. in the Revere High School Library, 3420 Everett Road.
More Education News
- New Woodridge school taking shape on planning board
- Highland teacher, community member recognized at ceremony
- Stark State to build Akron campus near state Route 8
- Annual cookie sale to benefit King CLC
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Manchester board OKs new grading scale
- Chapel Hill Christian School student wins contest
- Green school board approves five-year forecast
- South Side Education News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Meet Me in the Garden: Succulent Wreath - 5/25/2016
- A Night at the Museum: Real Women. Real Talk - 5/25/2016
- Summer Volunteer Orientation: ages 11-18 - 5/25/2016
- Paws for Reading with Therapy Dogs Pepper and Rocky - 5/26/2016
- Metro Parks Family Tree: Seiberling Family - 5/26/2016