Green district welcomes new teachers for next school year
The Green Local Schools Board of Education welcomed new teachers for the 2014-15 school year at the June 30 meeting.
Superintendent Jeff Miller said he is excited to welcome the new teachers and start school in August.
School Board Vice President Mark Herdlick recognized the district officials for hiring great talent.
In other business, with last month’s approval of the district eliminating half-day kindergarten and creating all-day kindergarten beginning with the 2014-15 school year, the board agreed the mid-day routes of seven bus drivers need to be eliminated and the work hours of the seven drivers with the least seniority need to be reduced.
This is a reduction of two hours per day and no jobs will be eliminated, according to district officials.
Miller said all-day kindergarten will greatly benefit the students, but a consequence is the reduction of hours for these bus drivers and he does not take that decision lightly.
The administration will notify employees affected by this action.
The board approved the following:
- the resignation of Green Middle School Assistant Principal Tom O’Neil, effective Aug. 1;
- the hiring of Krista Ross as assistant principal for Green Middle School effective Aug. 1, with a two-year contract;
- a two-year contract for Communications Director Julie McMahan effective Aug. 1, and on an as needed basis from July 1-31. According to McMahan, she previously split time between Green Local Schools and Lake Local Schools and will now be full time with Green;
- the hiring of Steven Lockstedt as music/band teacher for Green Intermediate School effective Aug. 18;
- the hiring of David Welhouse as ROTC instructor, with a stipend pay of $7,9183;
- the retirement of Lola Harper from food service, effective Sept. 1;
- the resignation of head boys cross country coach Tim Tober;
- supplemental contracts for the following head coaches: Tracy Miller, girls basketball; Mark Kinsley, boys basketball; Christopher Kriebel, wrestling; Aaron Spike Ridgley, baseball; Mike Lazor, swimming; Jake Saylor, boys cross country; Dave Cowley, girls bowling; and Randy Hanson, boys bowling.
- several supplemental contracts for the 2014-15 school year and two supplemental contracts for the 2013-14 school year;
- the 2014-15 student handbook for the district’s schools;
- the loss of asset list on behalf of Chapel Hill Christian School, as purchased through auxiliary funds totaling about $22,885. According to Treasurer Eydie Snowberger, this is the second installment and $33,434 was reported in April 2014. District officials said these items were obsolete;
- the final appropriation of funds of about $48.2 million for fiscal year 2014 as presented by the district treasurer;
- the appropriation of about $12 million for the first quarter of fiscal year 2015 to the extent that these appropriations do not exceed 25 percent of the final appropriations of fiscal year 2014 per fund;
- a contract with Child Guidance & Family Solutions to provide two case managers to perform services 40 hours per week from Aug. 18 through June 1, 2015, at a cost of $135,502 and for the 2015-16 school year at a cost of $140,597. According to Miller, these individuals are being renewed and provide a variety of counseling and life services in a school setting for students in fourth through 12th grades; and
- an agreement with Grand Canyon University for students to participate in student teaching internships, practicum and observations in Green Local Schools at no cost to the district.
Also during the meeting, Ridgley, a new high school math teacher and head baseball coach, said he is excited for his teaching and coaching opportunities and is looking forward to building relationships with the students, parents and the community.
At the end of the meeting, the board adjourned for an executive session to discuss personnel matters.
The next Green school board meeting is scheduled for July 28 at 6:30 p.m. in Council Chambers in the Central Administration Building, 1755 Town Park Blvd.
More Education News
Calendar of Events
- A New Adventure - 6/25/2016
- Buckeye Martinfest - 6/25/2016
- Downton Bath 1900-1950 - 6/25/2016
- Jackson Browne - 6/25/2016
- Tony! Toni! Toné! with Rumpelstiltskin - 6/25/2016