South Side Education News & Notes
Ohio EPA awards environmental education grant to Green Local Schools
GREEN — The Ohio Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) Environmental Education Fund awarded Green Local Schools $13,302 for the “Growing Green Education Wetlands Goes Public” project.
According to EPA officials, the project, which involves collaboration with the City of Green and its Living Green Task Force, will use the recently created Growing Green Educational Wetlands in front of Green Middle School —developed to reduce storm water flow in the area — for educational purposes.
EPA officials state the grant money will be used to train 15 teachers in the national “WOW! The Wonders of Wetlands” curriculum and provide testing supplies to enable students to monitor conditions and upload their data to the program website. Students will conduct regular salinity testing in an ongoing study of the effects of salt on the water table, and those results will help the city’s Road Department decide whether to switch from road salt to a beet-based solution. The students will present their results to local officials and civic groups.
The work will help students understand the function and benefits of wetlands, according to EPA officials.
In addition, the city will provide interpretive signs to explain the wetland to the community, with codes that direct residents to web pages about specific wetland features and student-collected data, according to EPA officials.
The Environmental Education Fund awarded 11 grants totaling $304,136 statewide. Eligible grant recipients include environmental groups, public and private schools, colleges and universities, trade or professional organizations, businesses and state and local governments.
For details, call 614-644-2873 or visit www.epa.ohio.gov and click on Environmental Education under Divisions and Offices.
Maria Lindsay contributed to this report.
More Education News
- Akron schools ready to open
- Firestone High School graduate awarded $2,500 scholarship
- Woodridge board, teachers union approve contract
- STVM students win at WEMUN Expo
- Copley-Fairlawn district readies for start of school
- Akron Zoo, APS provide supplies to students
- Project GRAD Akron receives contribution from AT&T
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Green officials field questions regarding softball improvements
- Springfield district approves personnel items at special meeting
- Manchester Old School Alumni support scholarship fund
- South Side Education News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Kinderealm: Bees: for ages 3-6 - 8/27/2016
- Yoga - 8/27/2016
- Jazz Under the Stars: Mojo: The Generationís Big Band - 8/27/2016
- Barbara Knight Trio; Artwerk - 8/27/2016
- Catherine Gray Jackson Tribute Exhibition - 8/27/2016