Highland school board approves contracts for next school year
During the Highland Local Schools District Board of Education regular meeting July 14, board members approved switching vendors for providing mass communications to district parents.
The change to SchoolMessenger for notifications is effective immediately, Superintendent Catherine Aukerman said.
The district uses a notification system primarily to notify parents on days school is canceled for extreme weather or other calamities, but the system has been used on additional occasions to communicate important announcements from building principals or the superintendent, according to Dawn Marzano, communications director.
The district had substantial issues with its former vendor, including parents receiving multiple calls or no calls at all, Aukerman said.
Parents are automatically signed up for the notification system and do not need to take any action as a result of the switch in vendors, Marzano said.
Also at the meeting, the board approved an agreement with Burges & Burges Strategists to continue elementary facilities planning work.
In other business, the board approved meeting minutes for the June 30 special meeting and the June 2014 financial reports.
Also, on its consent agenda for personnel, the board:
- accepted the resignations of Peter Houghtaling, Hinckley Elementary physical elementary teacher, for retirement; Jamie Holcomb, instrumental music teacher; and Cynthia Graves, Granger Elementary latchkey assistant;
- hired Ashely Kwiatkowski as middle school intervention specialist on a one-year limited contract; and
- hired for supplemental contracts for the next school year, including Bob Berry as middle school cross country coach, Ron Platten as high school boys soccer coach and Tim Snook as middle school head football coach.
No action followed an executive session to discuss personnel matters.
The next Highland Board of Education meeting is scheduled for Aug. 18 at 7 p.m. in the Media Center at Highland High School, 4150 Ridge Road.
More Education News
- Norton board proceeding with field house project
- Revere moving forward with district building project
- Woodridge athletes honored by Cuyahoga Falls mayor
- District seeking bids for secure school vestibules
- Highland board acknowledges district awards
- Highland students learn from NEOMED students
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Coventry school board, union reach agreement
Calendar of Events
- Helen Welch Trio; Jan Rookard and Ray McCall - 12/3/2016
- Glass Fusing: Make a Tiny Bowl - 12/3/2016
- Illusion Factory’s “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” - 12/3/2016
- Mind Your Own Beeswax Workshop - 12/3/2016
- Women’s Art League Show - 12/3/2016