West Side Education News & Notes
Battelle’s contribution in Akron to be announced
COLUMBUS — Representatives from Battelle will visit the National Inventors Hall of Fame® School...Center for Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Learning in Akron to announce a contribution of more than $20,000 to further support STEM education in the region.
Following the announcement, local STEM leaders will join in an open discussion of strategies and resources for expanding STEM in the region.
Thanks to partnerships with Akron Public Schools (APS), The University of Akron, the City of Akron, the Greater Akron Chamber/Akron Tomorrow and Invent Now, among numerous other area businesses and leaders, this funding will further efforts made by the Ohio STEM Learning Network (OSLN)-Akron Hub to advance STEM education to impact students and encourage the development of innovative cross-sector partnerships, according to APS officials.
The donation is part of more than $150,000 being donated by Battelle this year in Ohio.
The event will take place Aug. 4 from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the school, 199 S. Broadway St. To attend, register at www.osln.org/ak/.
Stuff the Bus underway
WEST AKRON — The Salvation Army, Krispy Kreme, Leadership Akron and Akron General Health System are teaming up on the Stuff the Bus campaign to help children start the school year right.
Stuff the Bus, now in its second year, collected 1,135 new back-to-school supplies and backpacks last year, and the goal is to double the number of students served.
The Salvation Army is asking the community to help Leadership Akron and Akron General Health System collect school supplies again this year. The campaign kicked off July 28, and donations will be accepted through Aug. 15.
School supplies can be dropped off at Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, 354 S. Maple St. All school supplies are needed, but especially notebooks, binders, pens, pencils, school scissors and hand sanitizer.
All donors will receive a free glazed doughnut for each single packaged school item or a dozen doughnuts for a backpack filled with school supplies. All supplies collected will be given to The Salvation Army for distribution to children in need in the community.
Stephanie Kist contributed to these reports.
More Education News
- Akron schools ready to open
- Firestone High School graduate awarded $2,500 scholarship
- Woodridge board, teachers union approve contract
- STVM students win at WEMUN Expo
- Copley-Fairlawn district readies for start of school
- Akron Zoo, APS provide supplies to students
- Project GRAD Akron receives contribution from AT&T
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Green officials field questions regarding softball improvements
- Springfield district approves personnel items at special meeting
- Manchester Old School Alumni support scholarship fund
- South Side Education News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Genealogy 101: Beyond Ancestry.com - 8/31/2016
- Lock Bottom Blues and Jazz Club: Skip Gibson and Finesse - 8/31/2016
- Downtown @ Dusk: Angie Haze - 9/1/2016
- “Hangover Square” - 9/1/2016
- Quarry Hike - 9/1/2016