West Side Education News & Notes
Battelle’s contribution in Akron to be announced
COLUMBUS — Representatives from Battelle will visit the National Inventors Hall of Fame® School...Center for Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Learning in Akron to announce a contribution of more than $20,000 to further support STEM education in the region.
Following the announcement, local STEM leaders will join in an open discussion of strategies and resources for expanding STEM in the region.
Thanks to partnerships with Akron Public Schools (APS), The University of Akron, the City of Akron, the Greater Akron Chamber/Akron Tomorrow and Invent Now, among numerous other area businesses and leaders, this funding will further efforts made by the Ohio STEM Learning Network (OSLN)-Akron Hub to advance STEM education to impact students and encourage the development of innovative cross-sector partnerships, according to APS officials.
The donation is part of more than $150,000 being donated by Battelle this year in Ohio.
The event will take place Aug. 4 from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the school, 199 S. Broadway St. To attend, register at www.osln.org/ak/.
Stuff the Bus underway
WEST AKRON — The Salvation Army, Krispy Kreme, Leadership Akron and Akron General Health System are teaming up on the Stuff the Bus campaign to help children start the school year right.
Stuff the Bus, now in its second year, collected 1,135 new back-to-school supplies and backpacks last year, and the goal is to double the number of students served.
The Salvation Army is asking the community to help Leadership Akron and Akron General Health System collect school supplies again this year. The campaign kicked off July 28, and donations will be accepted through Aug. 15.
School supplies can be dropped off at Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, 354 S. Maple St. All school supplies are needed, but especially notebooks, binders, pens, pencils, school scissors and hand sanitizer.
All donors will receive a free glazed doughnut for each single packaged school item or a dozen doughnuts for a backpack filled with school supplies. All supplies collected will be given to The Salvation Army for distribution to children in need in the community.
Stephanie Kist contributed to these reports.
More Education News
- APS instructor wins national award
- Two educational assistants added at Norton Primary
- Elms hosts neuroscience professor for student seminar
- Highland teachers, student recognized for outdoor education efforts
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Woodridge High School music students perform at Disney World
- NEOMED students offer hands-on learning
- Manchester taking steps for levies in May
- Springfield district working to help students improve
- Girls of Green collects items to benefit mothers in need
Calendar of Events
- Holiday Open House - 12/20/2014
- Wildlife and Wood Workshop: Bird Feeder - 12/20/2014
- Sweat Lodge Ceremony - 12/20/2014
- Ugly Sweater Hike and Fire - 12/20/2014
- Hiking for the Health of It - 12/20/2014