South Side Education News & Notes
PLCC to receive Straight A grant funds
GREEN — Portage Lakes Career Center (PLCC) was one of nine career centers to win Straight A grant funds totaling $15 million as part of a collaborative effort.
The RAMTEC: Robotics and Advanced Manufacturing Technology Education Collaborative is a project to expand and replicate the work of an existing robotics and manufacturing education center, according to the Ohio Department of Education (ODE). With the grant funding, nine robotics centers will be established to serve the participating school districts, according to ODE officials, and a total of 28,118 students will be impacted by the award.
The RAMTEC Collaborative is led by Tri-Rivers Career Center in Marion and will allow all of the career centers involved to address the skills gap by preparing high school and adult students with advanced manufacturing and engineering skills, according to RAMTEC officials.
The RAMTEC grant was one of 34 grants recommended by the Straight A Fund Governing Board to be funded in the 2015 fiscal year, according to the ODE. The recommended grantees estimate savings and spending reductions of $246.7 million over five years.
The Straight A Fund, created by Gov. John Kasich, is a $250 million program designed to provide funds to educational entities for meeting the learning needs of students, reducing the cost of running a school or district or driving more dollars to the classroom, according to ODE officials.
The RAMTEC Collaborative is expected to save its members $33.8 million over the next five years, according to the ODE.
The Straight A Fund was created in the state budget signed last summer by Kasich, according to the ODE. More than 150 entities received $100 million last year, with $150 million earmarked for new grants this year. The Straight A Fund is part of a $1.6 billion increase in state funding for education over the two-year budget cycle, according to the ODE.
Ariel Hakim contributed to this report.
More Education News
- Norton High School honors military at Veterans Day event
- AKA donates school supplies for APS students
- Local businessman presents grant to Walsh Jesuit
- Highland board debates domestic, international travel
- Hoban dedicates new Health and Fitness Center
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Coventry awaiting answers from Ohio Auditor’s Office
- APS board hears facility plan update
- Coventry Schools hosts safe Halloween
Calendar of Events
- Jon Mosey - 11/25/2015
- Joseph Arthur - 11/25/2015
- Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous - 11/26/2015
- Ballroom Nights - 11/27/2015
- Black Friday Music Party - 11/27/2015