West Side Education News & Notes
Plusquellic, Pry team teach UA political science class
DOWNTOWN AKRON — Akron Mayor Don Plusquellic and Summit County Executive Russ Pry will bring decades of practical political experience to the classroom as they team-teach “Practical Governing: The Buck Stops Here” this fall at The University of Akron (UA).
The course is in keeping with the “applied politics” mission of the university’s Bliss Institute of Applied Politics, bringing seasoned practitioners of government and politicians of all persuasions into the classroom, according to UA officials.
The class will focus on how policies are developed, implemented and managed.
“This course is a wonderful opportunity for our students to learn how local government really works,” said Bliss Institute Director John Green. “There is no substitute for real-world experience.”
Plusquellic and Pry will teach the class without compensation, according to UA officials, but UA will make a donation equal to the amount of their earnings to the Plusquellic Foundation, a fund that awards tuition scholarships for Akron residents to attend UA.
The three-credit-hour course will be taught on Wednesday nights and is open to advanced undergraduates and graduate students in political science and public administration and to other students with permission, according to UA officials. The class is limited to 25 students. For more information about enrolling, contact the Bliss Institute at 330-972-5182.
Pam Lifke contributed to this report.
More Education News
- Copley school board seeking high school principal
- Revere board asking for moratorium on state testing
- Revere PTA group names awardees
- Woodridge board asks state to monitor charter schools
- Students earn Eagle Scout honors
- West Side Education News & Notes
- Coventry Middle School teacher honored
- South Side Education News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Bongo Joe and Little Steve-O - 4/1/2015
- Author Talk: Irv Korman - 4/1/2015
- Grass is Gross: Edible Landscaping - 4/2/2015
- “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part I” - 4/2/2015
- Kite Workshop: for kindergarten-second grade - 4/2/2015