Revere board approves lunch price increase
At the Revere Local Schools Board of Education meeting Aug. 19, the board unanimously agreed to increase the price of school lunches.
The prices are now $2.75 at Revere High School and $2.60 at Revere Middle School and Bath and Hillcrest elementary schools. All prices have been increased by 5 cents, except at the Middle School, where the price remains the same.
According to Treasurer David Forrest, the increase is necessary for the district to meet the paid lunch equity standards issued by the State of Ohio. Forrest said with the new pricing system, the price a parent pays for their children’s lunch is balanced with what the government pays, so neither has an unusual burden.
Forrest also added the increases are not intended to fully cover the operating deficit annually generated by the food service program, but instead are mandated by the state.
The board also approved a request for proposals for architectural design services for site planning and development. According to Forrest, this is the first phase of development of a comprehensive short- and long-term plan for the district’s facilities.
Also during the meeting, Director of Curriculum and Instruction Maggie Niedzwiecki reported the district’s 100 percent passage of the Third Grade Reading Guarantee.
In other business, the board:
- declined benefit coverage. The district provides benefit coverage to the board members, at their cost, as well as their spouses and dependent children;
- approved an agreement with PRN Therapy Services Inc.;
- approved the resignations of assistant football coach John Kartley, junior varsity volleyball coach Dan Zarkovacki and intervention assistance team coordinator Ashley Elias;
- approved the emergency operating plan and threat assessment manual;
- approved an agreement with Jay Berk, Ph.D., and Associates to provide services to students with autism and emotional/behavioral issues;
- approved a revised calendar for the 2014-15 school year based on the granting of two waiver days from the Ohio Department of Education;
- approved the renewal of the Teamco Equipment agreement at an annual cost of $4,800;
- approved the cooperative purchasing agreement with the Ohio Department of Administrative Services at an annual cost of $100;
- approved the participation in the programs sponsored by the Ohio Schools Council with an annual membership fee of $4,417;
- approved the Parent Mentor Grant for the fiscal year 2014-15 in the amount of $25,000; and
- approved Justin Miller as the transportation supervisor at an annual salary of $52,500.
At a work session held Aug. 12, the board approved a contract with Capital Aluminum and Glass Corp. to provide replacement and/or improvements to selected windows and doors for district buildings.
The board will meet for a special meeting Sept. 9 at 5:30 p.m. in the Administration Building, 3496 Everett Road, and for its regular meeting Sept. 16 at 6:30 p.m. in the Revere High School Library, 3420 Everett Road.
More Education News
- APS Genius Challenge teams win Best Performance award
- SGWS showing ‘Screenagers’
- Board sets staff appreciation week
- Firestone honored at world tourney
- Revere receives audit award for third consecutive year
- Norton BOE OKs summer Kindergarten Readiness program
- Woodridge preparing for building project
- Manchester voters to see bond issue on August ballot
Calendar of Events
- University of Akron Concert Band - 5/2/2016
- University of Akron University Band - 5/3/2016
- Local Brew: R. Shea Brewery - 5/3/2016
- Stress and Your Total Wellness Workshop - 5/3/2016
- American Sewing Guild Fairlawn Group: - 5/3/2016