West Side Education News & Notes
Panic buttons installed in APS
AKRON — Panic buttons have been installed in the main offices of all Akron Public Schools (APS) buildings.
Dan Rambler, director of student services and security for APS, said the buttons are to be used by staff when and if they are unable to call 9-1-1. The new buttons will be linked to the district’s alarm company and the Akron Police Department (APD), he added.
“With all the school shootings that have occurred, this is just another procedure to get emergency officials to respond quickly to make sure all students, staff and guests in our schools are as safe as possible,” he said.
Rambler said staff received some training on how to use the buttons, but they are simple to use. There also will be signs posted regarding their use.
Rambler said installation of the panic buttons is expected to be complete in all buildings by the start of school, which is today, Aug. 28.
In addition, the district has modified another security measure at all buildings.
Rambler said new signs were installed outside all buildings with instructions that tell visitors they must provide a form of state identification to enter a building and sign in. A procedure also was adopted for those who appear without the required identification.
“This is not so much a change as an effort to make the procedure consistent for all buildings,” said Rambler.
Rambler said this security measure was created with input from parents who want to ensure a safe but also warm and inviting environment for all. He added parents and others are being informed of the change through a variety of mediums.
Maria Lindsay contributed to this report.
More Education News
- APS board approves revised building plan, budget
- New assistant AD named
- Revere board approves permanent appropriations
- Woodridge board updates district goals
- West Side Education News & Notes
- BOE gets update on tax abatements, CRA
- Growing Green Community Wetland Day planned
- InfoCision donates school supplies to Green students
Calendar of Events
- Cuyahoga Falls Farmers Market - 9/30/2016
- Glass and Found Object Sculpture - 9/30/2016
- The Babys - 9/30/2016
- Dueling Pianos to benefit the Battered Women’s Shelter - 9/30/2016
- Empty Bowl Dinner to benefit Good Neighbors of Cuyahoga Falls - 9/30/2016