Revere students recognized for achievements
RICHFIELD — At the Feb. 16 Revere Local Schools Board of Education meeting, the following students in the district were recognized:
• Revere High School student Colette Porter was named a 2010 National Merit Scholarship finalist. Porter will be considered for National Merit Scholarships to be offered this spring. Her scores on the PSAT placed her in the top 1 percent nationally of the 1.6 million students tested.
• The Revere Middle School cheerleading team took first place in the Revere Spirit Spectacular Nov. 8 and second place at a regional competition Jan. 24 at Berea High School. According to Nichole Bruce, the team’s adviser, the middle school cheerleaders are competing on an advanced level for the first time since they have incorporated more tumbling skills into their routines.
• Winners of the Revere Middle School spelling bee were Nolan Dyko (first), Anna Ling (second), Oliver Zhang (third) and Joe Merklin (fourth). All four competed in the Feb. 13 district spelling bee. Merklin and Dyko placed fourth and fifth, respectively, at the district competition and will move on to the regional bee March 13.
• The seventh- and eighth-grade Power of the Pen writing teams from Revere Middle School had a victorious showing against 15 other schools at the district competition Jan. 9 at St. Vincent-St. Mary High School. Twelve student writers penned creative stories during the tournament. The seventh-grade team had an individual winner in Becky Jarvis, who took home a fifth-place overall trophy for her grade. Additionally, five students qualified to compete at the regional level Feb. 20 at Kent State University: seventh-graders Jarvis and Prerana Ramadurgum and eighth-graders Carl Ahlborg, Olivia Detzel and Aria Alexander. Additional team members included seventh-graders Tyler Cai, Peter Feher, Drew Palla and Clarice Sigsworth, and eighth-grade team members Samantha Fergason, Anna Ling and Cecilia Salem. The teams are coached by advisers Lori Duke and Sonja Haller.
• The Revere High School Science Olympiad team placed 10th out of 40 at the Mentor Invitational Feb. 20. Individual awards were won by:
√ Laura Mason and Evelyn Troutman (Gold Medals, Write It Do It);
√ Cindy Lin and Annie Sun (fifth place, Forensics);
√ Joey Leucken and Annie Sun (fifth place, Ornithology);
√ Kevin Guo and Leon Zhang (sixth place, Anatomy and Physiology);
√ Cindy Lin and Annie Sun (seventh place, Astronomy);
√ Joey Luecken and Leon Zhang (seventh place, Fossils); and
√ Vince Paparella (seventh place, Trajectory).
• The Revere Middle School choir performed the national anthem at a recent Lake Erie Monsters hockey game and repeated the performance for the school board at the meeting.
More Education News
Calendar of Events
- Belly Dancing Fitness Class - 2/8/2016
- Tuesday Musical: Marina Piccinini and Andreas Haefliger - 2/9/2016
- Widows and Widowers Under 50 - 2/10/2016
- Downloading with OverDrive; eBook Downloading with Kindle Fire; Know Your Android Tablet - 2/10/2016
- Pinkalicious Party - 2/10/2016