Communities plan Halloween events -SSNL
|Don Witt, of Springfield, demonstrates pumpkin carving during Boo at the Zoo last year.|
|Photo: Krista Galloway|
Residents planning to take part in trick-or-treating are asked to leave a porch light on during the designated time.
The following is a list of designated nights and times for trick-or-treating in the South Side News Leader coverage area, along with other planned events:
• Akron: Most neighborhoods will host Beggars’ Night Oct. 29 from 5 to 7 p.m. Also, the Akron Zoo’s Boo at the Zoo is back with its nonscary Halloween activities for families. The event, which features 12 themed trick-or-treat stations, will take place Oct. 15-16, 21-23 and 28-30. Hours are 5:30 to 8 p.m. on Fridays and 3 to 8 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. Admission is $10 for trick-or-treaters and $6 for observers. Akron Zoo members receive free observer admission. Advanced tickets, which are $1 less, are now on sale at the zoo, 500 Edgewood Ave., and all Acme Fresh Market locations. Also, the zoo will serve a pizza buffet in the Komodo Kingdom Café during Boo at the Zoo at a cost of $4.99 for children and $6.99 for adults. For additional information, call 330-375-2550 or go to www.akronzoo.org.
• Coventry: Trick-or-treating will take place Oct. 30 from 5:30 to 8 p.m. Also, Cornerstone Church on Killian Road will hold a Trunk or Treat event Oct. 29 from 4 to 6 p.m.
• Green: The annual Trick-or-Treat Trail will take place Oct. 22 from 3 to 5 p.m. at Boettler Park, 5300 Massillon Road. The event, which will feature treats from local businesses and organizations, is open to children 12 and younger. Admission is a nonperishable food donation, which will be donated to Green Good Neighbors. A costume contest will take place at 2 p.m. on the tennis courts for children ages newborn to 12 years old. Also, Haunted Hayrides will be offered Fridays and Saturdays through October at Southgate Park. Sponsored by the city of Green Parks and Recreation and Camp Y-Noah, the event will include a family-friendly nonscary ride from 7 to 8 p.m. and rides for older children and adults from 8 to 10 p.m. On Oct. 22, rides will begin at 5 p.m. following the Trick-or-Treat Trail. The cost is $1 for children ages 5 and younger, and $6 for all others if tickets are purchased prior to the event at city offices or any YMCA facility. The cost is $10 at the door. Proceeds from the Haunted Hayride benefit Camp Y-Noah’s Partners With Youth program. Green’s trick-or-treat will take place Oct. 29 from 5 to 7 p.m.
• Lakemore: Trick-or-treating is set for Oct. 29 from 5 to 7 p.m. Also on that day, members of the Lakemore Firefighters Association will take donations at the Lakemore Fire Department’s pancake breakfast from 9 a.m. to noon. The village-sponsored Halloween party will take place from 1 to 3 p.m. at the Municipal Building, 1400 Main St., with a costume contest for children in different age groups.
• New Franklin: Trick-or-treating is scheduled on different days depending on neighborhood and school district. For Manchester and Norton district neighborhoods and the Turkeyfoot Lake Estates Association area, the date is Oct. 29 from 5 to 7 p.m. Coventry Local Schools District neighborhoods will participate Oct. 30 from 5:30 to 8 p.m. Northwest Local School District’s will be Oct. 31 from 6 to 8 p.m. Other areas of the city that have planned times for trick-or-treat are asked to alert police to the schedule.
• Norton: Trick-or-treat will take place Oct. 29 from 5 to 7 p.m.
• Springfield: Beggars’ Night will be Oct. 29 from 5 to 7 p.m.
More Entertainment News
Calendar of Events
- A New Beginning - 1/31/2015
- “The Vagina Monologues” - 1/31/2015
- Lunch and a Movie for Teens - 1/31/2015
- Comedy in the Cellar - 1/31/2015
- Billy Strings and Don Julin - 1/31/2015