Mother’s Day minus Mom
Mother’s Day is supposed to be a happy occasion wherein individuals honor their mothers and other special women with gifts and tokens of appreciation. But for the men and women who have lost their mothers, this holiday can be everything from bittersweet to painful.
Any holiday can be particularly difficult to enjoy when a loved one passes away. However, Mother’s Day and Father’s Day — dates on the calendar specific to a special person in one’s life — can be even more trying, especially if the loss is still fresh.
Individuals who have lost their mothers may experience Mother’s Day in myriad ways. Some may choose to ignore the day, preferring to keep busy and not acknowledge that Mother’s Day is taking place. Others may pour over memories of their mothers, looking at old photos or videos. Some may make a trip to a cemetery or special place of reflection. Certain people prefer to be alone, while others want to be in the comfort of a group. The way the holiday is spent is entirely up to the person and the way he or she feels the most comfortable.
In fact, it can be downright challenging to wade through the rows of greeting cards at every store and watch scores of commercials on television reminding one not to forget to pick up something special for one’s mother.
If a person is looking for a way to celebrate Mom after she has passed on, here are a few ideas.
• Remember a good time had with Mom and then capture those happy feelings.
• Donate to a charity or do something special that Mom would have appreciated.
• Plant a tree or plant in her honor in the yard.
• Watch a video or look through pictures of Mom and remember all of the good times you had together.
• If you are a mother, relish in the day with the kids and other family. Your Mom would want you to.
• Wear a white carnation to symbolize that you have lost your mother.
• Gather together with siblings or friends who have lost their mothers and spend the day together.
This article was provided courtesy of MetroCreativeConnection.
More Entertainment News
Calendar of Events
- Tie Dye Day - 5/21/2013
- Widows and Widowers Starting Over Socially - 5/21/2013
- Cuyahoga Falls Strollers - 5/21/2013
- Murder Mystery Evening - 5/21/2013
- Stewart’s Caring Place: A Cancer Wellness Center Events - 5/21/2013