Father’s Day events
|The 55th Classic, Antique & Collector Car Show will be at Stan Hywet Hall and Gardens June 17 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.|
|Photo courtesy of Stan Hywet Hall and Gardens|
• WEST AKRON — Stan Hywet Hall and Gardens, 714 N. Portage Path, will present the 55th Classic, Antique & Collector Car Show on Father’s Day, June 17, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Presented with the Ohio Region Classic Car Club of America, the event will feature classic, antique and collector cars — more than 400 automobiles manufactured between 1896 and 1978, according to event officials. Judges will award prizes in each class for first, second and third place. This year includes a new category of muscle cars for fans of horsepower and a new car dealer display. GameTruck with car-themed mobile video games will be on-site near the picnic area as an additional activity for children. General admission to the show is $12 for adults, $5 for ages 6-17 and free for children 5 and younger; Stan Hywet member discounts are available. There is no onsite parking at the show, but free parking and shuttle service is available throughout the day at three West Akron locations: Firestone High School, 333 Rampart Ave.; Essex Elementary School, 1160 Winhurst Drive; and the Riverpark Building, 1653 Merriman Road. For details, visit www.stanhywet.org or call 330-836-5533.
• WEST AKRON — The Akron Zoo will host a special Dad’s Day celebration for fathers and grandfathers June 17. All fathers and grandfathers will receive 50 percent off admission to the zoo. Events will take place from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Families can try their luck at cornhole or putt on the putting green at the zoo. There also will be live entertainment from Zobapago and camping activities. Admission is $10 for adults, or $8.50 for senior citizens and $7 for children ages 2-14, and is free for children younger then 2. Parking is $2. For details, visit www.akronzoo.org or call 330-375-2550.
• CLEVELAND — Cleveland Metroparks Zoo will offer half-price admission for all fathers on Father’s Day, June 17, from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. The zoo has special activities planned throughout the day, including a heavy equipment display near the African Savanna and chances to Meet the Keepers. There also will be a Cans for Conservation aluminum can drive that day. All proceeds from the cans collected will benefit Bat Conservation International. Later in the day, all the cans that have been collected so far will be crushed with a steamroller near the Sarah Allison Steffee Center for Zoological Medicine. Admission is $12.25 per person, $8.25 for children ages 2-11 and free for children younger than 2 and zoo members. Parking is free. The zoo is located at 3900 Wildlife Way.
• SHARON — The Medina County Park District will host Photo Quest With Dad June 17 from noon to 4 p.m. at the Wolf Creek Environmental Center, 6100 Ridge Road. Participants will be able to hike the trails with their fathers looking for objects or places listed or pictured on a “Photo Quest Checklist.” Treats will be awarded to those who find and digitally photograph all items on the list. Cameras are not required to participate, but participants should bring one if available. All ages are welcome. For details, call 330-722-9364 or visit www.medinacountyparks.com.
More Entertainment News
Calendar of Events
- The Way We See It! - 5/20/2013
- Copley Historical Society - 5/20/2013
- Food Preservation - 5/20/2013
- Until Healing Comes - 5/20/2013
- Cleveland Orchestra Children’s Chorus - 5/20/2013