Halloween, fall fun returning for season
|A wagon passes a Halloween scene during the city of Green and Camp Y-Noah’s haunted hayrides last year.|
In Green, a number of activities are planned.
Green’s Southgate Park, 5300 Massillon Road, will be transformed the first three weekends in October for the annual city of Green and Camp Y-Noah haunted hayrides.
The hayrides will be offered Fridays and Saturdays Oct. 5-6, 12-13 and 19-20, with a family-friendly version from 7 to 8 p.m., followed by haunted hayrides from 8 to 10 p.m.
Proceeds from the hayrides will benefit Camp Y-Noah’s Partners With Youth program, according to event organizers.
The cost is $6 presale for all ages 6 and older or $10 at the door, and $1 for children younger than 1. Tickets may be purchased at the Green Parks and Recreation office, located in the Central Administration Building at 1755 Town Park Blvd., weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.; and at Camp Y-Noah, the Green Family YMCA and other Akron area YMCAs.
In the event of inclement weather, the city’s website, www.cityofgreen.org, will post cancellation information after 5 p.m. the day of the event. For more information, call the parks office at 330-896-6621.
The fun at Boettler Park continues with Green’s 16th annual Trick or Treat Trail and Costume Contest Oct. 20. The event will include a trail set up in the park that invites costumed children to drop by for goodies and treats from 3 to 5 p.m. Admission to the trail is a donation of a nonperishable food item or gently used hats, gloves, mittens, blankets, etc.
New to the event this year will be Touch-a-Truck, which will offer children an opportunity to get close to various kinds of city trucks and equipment, Summit County Sheriff’s Office vehicles and fire department medical units. The vehicles will be on display from 2 to 5 p.m.
The Costume Contest offers costumed children in various age categories a chance to compete for prizes. Judging will take place on the north tennis court: for 0 to age 2, at 2:15 to 2:25 p.m.; ages 3 to 5, at 2:25 to 2:35 p.m.; ages 6 to 8, at 2:35 to 2:45 p.m.; and ages 9 to 12, at 2:45 to 2:55 p.m.
Also in Green, Figaro Farms, located at 175 E. Turkeyfoot Lake Road, will present its Fall Festival Fridays from 5 to 10 p.m. and Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. through Oct. 27. The event will include hayrides, a corn maze, a pumpkin patch, Mummy Mountain, Pumpkin Roll Hill, corn toss, apple hole, spud slinger and more. Some activities require tickets. For details, call 330-896-2220.
The Tadmor Shrine Center is presenting the Friendly Haunted House Oct. 12-28 on Fridays from 5 to 8 p.m., Saturdays from 4 to 8 p.m. and Sundays from 2 to 6 p.m. at the center, 3000 Krebs Drive. The event offers: a Haunted House designed just for young children; the Great Pumpkin, which rotates 180 degrees and has a talking wizard inside; a lighted Cinderella Carriage with a witch reading stories to children; and hayrides through the Enchanted Forest. Admission is $10 per person, with a $1 off coupon available at www.tadmorshrine.org.
Area communities observe trick-or-treating schedules at various times. Law enforcement officials will be out on extra patrol during these officially designated events to ensure the safety of children walking through neighborhoods. Homeowners wishing to participate in trick-or-treating are asked to turn on their front porch lights.
The trick-or-treating in the South Side News Leader’s coverage area includes:
• Coventry: Oct. 28 from 5:30 to 8 p.m.;
• Green: Oct. 27 from 6 to 8 p.m.;
• Lakemore and Springfield: Oct. 27 from 5 to 7 p.m.; and
• New Franklin: In the Manchester Local Schools District area - Oct. 27, 5 to 7p.m.; In the Melody Village neighborhood - Oct. 27, 6 to 8p.m.
Some neighborhoods also may set their own times, according to community officials.
More Entertainment News
- Weathervane Playhouse staging ‘successful’ ‘Unnecessary Farce’
- Akron native James III blends stories, impressions in new show
- KNR raises $20,000 for Rape Crisis Center
- Princesses, heroes highlight of Family Expo
- West Side Cause for Celebration
- Child & Family Awareness Month contest winners announced
- Taste of Coventry raising funds for new playground
- Green High School students among contest winners
- Green PTA Reflections winners recognized
- South Side Cause for Celebration
Calendar of Events
- Boogie Woogie Books - 5/5/2015
- “Doctor Who” Bingo and Trivial Pursuit: grades six-12 - 5/5/2015
- Art Program: ages 11-18 - 5/5/2015
- Antique Appraisals - 5/5/2015
- First Tuesday Dance with Gene Fiocca Band - 5/5/2015