Nature Realm hosting gardening seminars
WEST AKRON — Area residents can begin creating plans for their gardens this winter.
The F.A. Seiberling Nature Realm Visitors Center, 1828 Smith Road, will host a free educational series on a variety of gardening topics presented by Master Gardeners, Serving Summit County. The program — Meet Me in the Garden — will include discussions and is supported by Metro Parks, Serving Summit County.
Space is limited, and door prizes will be available. For details, call 330-865-8065.
The meetings will take place indoors at the center on the last Wednesday of each month, January through March, at 7 p.m.
Topics will include:
• Jan. 23 — “Purple Martins,” presented by Larry Hunter, founder and chief adviser to the Portage Lakes Purple Martin Association. These aerial acrobats need area residents’ help, according to Hunter. Learn how and why to attract, house and feed these valuable birds, and how to experience them firsthand in the Portage Lakes area, according to organizers.
• Feb. 27 — “Starting Plants Indoors From Seeds,” presented by Master Gardener Tom Bouton. Participants can jump-start summer by discovering sources of seeds, equipment to use, light requirements and specific seed needs.
• March 27 — “The Care and Feeding of Hummingbirds,” presented by Metro Parks volunteer and Audubon Society member Carolyn Zeh. Attendees will gain an understanding about the tiny world of hummingbirds by learning about their behavior, migration patterns and how to feed and attract these jewel-toned birds to gardens.
More Entertainment News
- No errors, just comedy in Ohio Shakespeare Festival’s show
- Importance of Earth Day should not be forgotten
- Fashion in the Falls to showcase spring trends
- Autism Society of Greater Akron presents Caring Bunny event
- Bath Community Garage Sale set for June 10
- Young women presented at Sweetheart Ball
- Akron Chapter of Jack and Jill celebrates Founders’ Day
- Local Sons of Italy marks milestone
Calendar of Events
- Yoga and Mimosa; Yoga and Wine - 4/24/2017
- The Art of Journaling; Men Facing Grief Support Group - 4/24/2017
- Fiction Book Club: “Truly Madly Guilty” - 4/25/2017
- Yoga for Homeschoolers: ages 8-12 - 4/25/2017
- PiYo with Morgan Webb - 4/25/2017