Nature Realm hosting gardening seminars
WEST AKRON — Area residents can begin creating plans for their gardens this winter.
The F.A. Seiberling Nature Realm Visitors Center, 1828 Smith Road, will host a free educational series on a variety of gardening topics presented by Master Gardeners, Serving Summit County. The program — Meet Me in the Garden — will include discussions and is supported by Metro Parks, Serving Summit County.
Space is limited, and door prizes will be available. For details, call 330-865-8065.
The meetings will take place indoors at the center on the last Wednesday of each month, January through March, at 7 p.m.
Topics will include:
• Jan. 23 — “Purple Martins,” presented by Larry Hunter, founder and chief adviser to the Portage Lakes Purple Martin Association. These aerial acrobats need area residents’ help, according to Hunter. Learn how and why to attract, house and feed these valuable birds, and how to experience them firsthand in the Portage Lakes area, according to organizers.
• Feb. 27 — “Starting Plants Indoors From Seeds,” presented by Master Gardener Tom Bouton. Participants can jump-start summer by discovering sources of seeds, equipment to use, light requirements and specific seed needs.
• March 27 — “The Care and Feeding of Hummingbirds,” presented by Metro Parks volunteer and Audubon Society member Carolyn Zeh. Attendees will gain an understanding about the tiny world of hummingbirds by learning about their behavior, migration patterns and how to feed and attract these jewel-toned birds to gardens.
More Entertainment News
Calendar of Events
- Boogie Woogie Books - 5/26/2015
- A New Beginning - 5/27/2015
- Feeding Time: ages 5 and older - 5/27/2015
- Anime Club - 5/27/2015
- Summer Volunteer Orientation: ages 12-18 - 5/27/2015