Nature Realm hosting gardening seminars
WEST AKRON — Area residents can begin creating plans for their gardens this winter.
The F.A. Seiberling Nature Realm Visitors Center, 1828 Smith Road, will host a free educational series on a variety of gardening topics presented by Master Gardeners, Serving Summit County. The program — Meet Me in the Garden — will include discussions and is supported by Metro Parks, Serving Summit County.
Space is limited, and door prizes will be available. For details, call 330-865-8065.
The meetings will take place indoors at the center on the last Wednesday of each month, January through March, at 7 p.m.
Topics will include:
• Jan. 23 — “Purple Martins,” presented by Larry Hunter, founder and chief adviser to the Portage Lakes Purple Martin Association. These aerial acrobats need area residents’ help, according to Hunter. Learn how and why to attract, house and feed these valuable birds, and how to experience them firsthand in the Portage Lakes area, according to organizers.
• Feb. 27 — “Starting Plants Indoors From Seeds,” presented by Master Gardener Tom Bouton. Participants can jump-start summer by discovering sources of seeds, equipment to use, light requirements and specific seed needs.
• March 27 — “The Care and Feeding of Hummingbirds,” presented by Metro Parks volunteer and Audubon Society member Carolyn Zeh. Attendees will gain an understanding about the tiny world of hummingbirds by learning about their behavior, migration patterns and how to feed and attract these jewel-toned birds to gardens.
More Entertainment News
- Porthouse opens season with ‘Sister Act’
- BioBlitz shines light on CVNP’s diversity
- Knight Center, Metro Parks presenting nature display
- STEM Middle School student wins design challenge
- Mardis, Meilinger wed in Cincinnati
- DAP announces changes to Akron Art Prize
- Area celebrations mark Independence Day
- DAR recognizes City of Green
Calendar of Events
- TimberNook Camp Sneak Peek - 6/26/2016
- Cat Show - 6/26/2016
- Belairs - 6/26/2016
- “A Star for Freedom” - 6/26/2016
- Summer Basketball Skills Camp - 6/27/2016