Health, wellness focus of Shaw JCC’s Family Wellness Expo
|The Shaw Jewish Community Center will present its second annaul Family Wellness Expo Jan. 20 from noon to 4 p.m. The event will include various organizations presenting interactive activities aimed at health and wellness. Among those participating last year was staff from the JCC’s Early Childhood Education program performing science experiments, shown above.|
|Photo courtesy of the Shaw Jewish Community Center of Akron|
Programs like Discover CATCH® Early Childhood, a program designed for JCCs based on the national CATCH® program, and Let’s Move, the initiative started by first lady Michelle Obama, are designed to educate, treat and prevent childhood obesity at the source, according to Shaw JCC officials.
The Shaw JCC is committed to developing a healthy community and healthy families, according to its officials.
“While diet and exercise are certainly important, we believe that the idea of wellness goes beyond that and includes the mind, body and soul,” said Todd Rockoff, executive director of the Shaw JCC.
On Jan. 20 from noon to 4 p.m., the second annual Family Wellness Expo will take place at the Shaw JCC, 750 White Pond Drive. The free event is an interactive experience the entire family can enjoy together, according to Shaw JCC officials.
“Wellness is something the family can and should do together,” said Rockoff. “For the second year, the Family Wellness Expo will present to the community great opportunities to explore wellness through fun and interactive ways, featuring not only activities offered here at the Shaw JCC but from around the community.”
This year’s event will feature Jared Fogle, national SUBWAY® spokesman, as well as live stage shows featuring Sid the Science Kid. In addition, other organizations from the Akron area will participate in the event and offer hands-on activities. They include: the Akron Zoo; Akron Aeros; American Red Cross; Bruegger’s Bagels; Guardians Advocating Child Safety and Protection (GASP); Metro Parks, Serving Summit County; Summa Health System; the Akron-Summit County Public Library; and others.
According to Shaw JCC officials, the event is made possible through the support of the following sponsors (as of Jan. 1): Shaw JCC of Akron, Summa Health System, Rubber City Radio Group, Akron Aeros, Leader Publications, Western Reserve PBS, White Hat Management, Bruegger’s Bagels and Jewish Family Service.
For additional information, including a complete list of event booths and activities, visit www.shawjcc.org or call 330-867-7850.
Maria Lindsay contributed to this story.
More Entertainment News
- Collaboration key to UA, Neos Dance Theatre’s ‘Snow White’
- Summit Choral Society commemorating Kent’s May 4
- Shaw JCC of Akron launches construction of new aquatics facility
- Classic barbershop sounds at Derbytown Chorus show
- Area residents celebrate ‘Sing With Your Child Month’
- William Wetmore Chapter members attend state conference
- Efforts to preserve former camp get boost from agreement, open house
- Akron Host Lions partake in World Lunch Relay
- West Side Cause for Celebration
- Summit Church offering Space Blast
Calendar of Events
- Apollo’s Fire - 4/24/2014
- “Bye Bye Birdie” - 4/24/2014
- Alzheimer’s Association Caregiver Support Group - 4/24/2014
- Delicious, Healthful Olive Oil - 4/24/2014
- Open House - 4/24/2014