Graf’s garden seminars providing planting ideas
WEST AKRON — Graf Growers will present a series of garden seminars on Saturday mornings in February.
Each presentation will cover a different gardening topic and be presented by a garden industry professional with visuals and inspiration, according to Graf Growers officials. Gardeners can gather to learn, get new ideas and make plans for spring and summer plantings.
The seminars will take place from 10 to 11:30 a.m. at Graf Growers, 1015 White Pond Drive. Coffee and light refreshments will be available, and the doors will open at 9:30 a.m. to allow networking with other local gardeners.
Each seminar costs $12, except for the Feb. 23 one, which is free. Preregistration is suggested because of limited seating; however, participants are welcome to stop by and attend as seating allows. To register or for more information, visit www.grafgrow ers.com or call 330-836-2727.
The following is a list of upcoming seminars and speakers:
• Feb. 2: “Deer Resistant Gardening,” with Joyce Braun, a Summit County Master Gardener since 2001. She will draw on her experience in gardening 2-1/2 acres surrounded by woods to help participants understand deer and how to live with them. She also will provide helpful information on deer resistant plants and repellants.
• Feb. 9: “Creating a Perennial Garden With Perpetual Interest,” with Laura Deeter, associate professor at The Ohio State University Agricultural Technical Institute at Wooster. Deeter’s presentation will introduce perennials for every season and offer tips for combining them for ongoing interest in a garden.
• Feb. 16: “New Ideas for Creating a Colorful Shade Garden,” with Lisa Graf, co-owner of Graf Growers. While it is hard to imagine a shade garden without Impatiens “Wallerina,” due to a far-reaching and devastating disease affecting impatiens, alternatives are now necessary. Graf will briefly discuss the disease downey mildew and the impact it will have on gardens. She then will focus on colorful alternatives for containers and beds in the shade.
• Feb. 23: “Ideas and Inspiration for Improving Your Landscape,” with Craig Graf, co-owner of Graf Growers. This free seminar will provide participants with landscape designs and materials that will compliment any lifestyle. Graf also will provide creative ideas for solving landscape issues such as drainage, slopes and privacy, as well as concepts for enhancing spaces and adding interesting elements.
More Entertainment News
Calendar of Events
- Metro Parks Book Club: “Pleasant Valley” by Louis Bromfiel - 1/25/2015
- University of Akron Steel Drum Band - 1/25/2015
- “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” - 1/25/2015
- NARI Home Improvement Show - 1/25/2015
- Snuggle Up and Read Around the Campfire: for kindergarten through grade 5 - 1/26/2015