Donzell’s plans winter gardening seminars
SOUTH AKRON — Donzell’s Flower and Garden Center, located at 937 E. Waterloo Road, will present free gardening seminars on upcoming Saturdays at 11 a.m. To register, call 330-724-0550, ext. 110. The following presentations are planned:
• Feb. 2, “Bring Birds to Your Backyard,” with speaker Joyce Pelz, of the Akron Audubon Society. A PowerPoint presentation will help attendees identify birds and their songs and suggest ways to welcome them to their yards.
• Feb. 9, “Growing Orchids in Your Home,” with The Akron Orchid Society. The Orchid Society offers an informative presentation each year for beginners and more experienced growers.
• Feb. 16, “It Starts With a Tiny Seed,” with speaker and greenhouse grower Dan Dubnicka. He will cover seed-starting basics, with emphasis on vegetable plants. He’ll share his tips and techniques from his years of growing experience.
• Feb. 23 “Think Spring!,” with speaker Vanessa Moyer, of the nursery staff. Moyer will cover some early chores like pruning and garden preparations to do as plants start to emerge.
• March 2-3, Greater Akron Orchid Society Show, no Saturday seminar. The Orchid Show offers exotic orchid displays, orchid vendors and experts on hand to answer questions. The show is free and open to the public in the greenhouse. The “Wine and Orchids” Wine Tasting event will take place March 2 from 1 to 4 p.m. featuring local wineries’ products now sold at Donzell’s.
• March 9, “Bonsai Basics and Beyond,” with speaker Dale Cochoy, of the Akron Bonsai Society. Cochoy brings more than 30 years of bonsai experience with demonstrations and growing and care information.
• March 16, “Oh Deer!,” with speaker Carol Zeh, teacher and “nanny” for “Dillie the Deer.” Dillie is a farm-born white-tailed deer born blind and raised inside a home in Canal Fulton. Zeh shares tips on keeping deer out of yards, as well as Dillie stories.
• March 23, “Herbs for Health and Beauty,” with speaker Barb Oare, of the Quail Hollow Herb Society. Oare will cover easy ways that herbs can help with headaches, coughs and colds, ease stress and more.
• March 30, “Vegetable Gardening Basics,” with speaker Lee Paulson, a Master Gardener. Paulson will cover the basics for those who want to enjoy their own fresh-picked vegetables.
More Entertainment News
Calendar of Events
- A New Adventure: group for widows and widowers - 9/28/2016
- Depression/Bipolar Support Alliance - 9/28/2016
- GriefCare Place - 9/28/2016
- Akron Coffee Roasters - 9/28/2016
- Pilates - 9/28/2016