Library hosting gardening programs
DOWNTOWN AKRON — Three programs for new gardeners and seasoned professionals will be offered Feb. 2 at the Akron-Summit County Main Library, 60 S. Main St.
• Creative Container Gardening, presented by Cathy Morgan, past president and first female president of the Men’s Garden Club of Akron, will run from 9:30 to 10:15 a.m. Container gardening can produce vegetables that are easy to grow and can fit on balconies, decks, stoops or concrete pads. Morgan will cover the beginning steps to building a container garden with minimal care and expense.
• Gardening for Small Spaces, presented by The Ohio State University Extension-Summit County, will run from 10:30 to 11:15 a.m. Attendees will learn how to maximize growing space using intensive gardening techniques. Topics will include square foot gardening, raised bed gardening, vertical gardening and succession plantings.
• Akron Grows/Let’s Grow Akron, presented by the Akron Grows Community Garden Program and Let’s Grow Akron, will run from 11:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. Representatives will be available to explain how each program works and participation requirements. Helping organizations and individuals create container, backyard and community gardens, Let’s Grow Akron offers guidance in establishing community gardens and beautification sites.
Contact the Science and Technology Department at 330-643-9075 or stdiv@akron library.org to reserve a space.
More Entertainment News
- Weathervane Playhouse staging ‘successful’ ‘Unnecessary Farce’
- Akron native James III blends stories, impressions in new show
- KNR raises $20,000 for Rape Crisis Center
- Princesses, heroes highlight of Family Expo
- West Side Cause for Celebration
- Child & Family Awareness Month contest winners announced
- Taste of Coventry raising funds for new playground
- Green High School students among contest winners
- Green PTA Reflections winners recognized
- South Side Cause for Celebration
Calendar of Events
- Boogie Woogie Books - 5/5/2015
- “Doctor Who” Bingo and Trivial Pursuit: grades six-12 - 5/5/2015
- Art Program: ages 11-18 - 5/5/2015
- Antique Appraisals - 5/5/2015
- First Tuesday Dance with Gene Fiocca Band - 5/5/2015