Library hosting gardening programs
DOWNTOWN AKRON — Three programs for new gardeners and seasoned professionals will be offered Feb. 2 at the Akron-Summit County Main Library, 60 S. Main St.
• Creative Container Gardening, presented by Cathy Morgan, past president and first female president of the Men’s Garden Club of Akron, will run from 9:30 to 10:15 a.m. Container gardening can produce vegetables that are easy to grow and can fit on balconies, decks, stoops or concrete pads. Morgan will cover the beginning steps to building a container garden with minimal care and expense.
• Gardening for Small Spaces, presented by The Ohio State University Extension-Summit County, will run from 10:30 to 11:15 a.m. Attendees will learn how to maximize growing space using intensive gardening techniques. Topics will include square foot gardening, raised bed gardening, vertical gardening and succession plantings.
• Akron Grows/Let’s Grow Akron, presented by the Akron Grows Community Garden Program and Let’s Grow Akron, will run from 11:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. Representatives will be available to explain how each program works and participation requirements. Helping organizations and individuals create container, backyard and community gardens, Let’s Grow Akron offers guidance in establishing community gardens and beautification sites.
Contact the Science and Technology Department at 330-643-9075 or stdiv@akron library.org to reserve a space.
More Entertainment News
- Magical Theatre unveils restoration
- Six decked-out homes on Sugar Plum Tour
- Gifts, inspiration found at Crafty Mart
- Falls native receives award from White House
- Coach House staging entertaining ‘Blithe Spirit’
- Decorated trees, holiday displays needed for Christmas in the Park
- CVNP’s winter Schedule of Events available
Calendar of Events
- Peter White Christmas Show with Mindi Abair and Rick Braun - 11/29/2015
- Nature Drawing for Kids: ages 6-12 - 11/29/2015
- Front Yard Birding - 11/29/2015
- Cookbook Book Club: Chestnuts - 11/30/2015
- Baby Time - 11/30/2015