Dayton Nursery hosting gardening seminars
NORTON — Dayton Nursery and Garden Center will host a series of Saturday gardening seminars. The schedule includes:
• Feb. 2: “Gardening for Pollinators,” with speaker Denise Ellsworth, Ohio State University Department of Entimology, program director and honey bee and native pollinator educator. She will speak on who they are, why they matter and how every gardener can help with pollinator conservation. Attendees will learn to make planting and design choices that help provide pollinators with food and habitat.
• Feb. 9: “Designing a Garden With Whimsy,” with speaker Michelle Riley, of All About You Landscape. By placing art, catering to animals, arranging a dining or sitting area, adding splashes of color, planting wildflowers and berries for picking or taking advantage of the property’s unique features, gardeners can execute a unique display regardless of their gardening experience.
• Feb. 16: “Hummingbirds,” with speaker Carol Zeh, Metro Parks volunteer and Audubon member. Zeh will talk about ways to attract and keep hummingbirds in yards this year. Attendees also will learn their migration habits, how often to change their nectar and more.
• Feb. 23: “Made in the Shade: Best Plants for Low Light,” with speaker Cynthia Drukenbrod, of the Cleveland Botanical Garden. Attendees will discover which trees, shrubs, perennials, ground covers and annuals will not only thrive in a shady space but also enliven it. Some of the newest cultivars, along with tried-and-true plants that love low light, will be discussed.
• March 2: “Understanding Lawn Maintenance,” with speaker Mark Laube, of Oliger Seed Co., of Akron. With his years of expertise in lawn care in Northeast Ohio, Laube will get attendees started in the right direction for 2013. From selection of the best seed, fertilizer, insect and disease care, he will discuss proper lawn maintenance for home lawns.
• March 9: “What’s New & Exciting for 2013,” with speakers Karen Martin and Tom Dayton, of Dayton Nursery. The speakers will offer a sneak peak of the newest, most exciting introductions in trees, shrubs, evergreens, perennials, vines and annuals. A slide show will include photos, plant information and care tips with the knowledge and expertise of owner Dayton and an introduction to new perennial manager Martin.
The seminars will take place at 11 a.m. in the Owl Barn at Dayton Nursery and Garden Center, 3459 S. Cleveland-Massillon Road.
To sign up, call 330-825-3320 or email info@dayton nursery.com with dates attending and names of attendees.
The fee is $6 each for garden club members and $10 each for nonmembers.
Light refreshments will be provided. Seating is limited, and payment in advance is appreciated but can be made at the door.
More Entertainment News
Calendar of Events
- Windows 8 - 7/29/2014
- Pilates - 7/30/2014
- Intercourse the Collective - 7/30/2014
- “Summer Fun” Book Sale - 7/31/2014
- Works by Portage Path Community Learning Center art students - 7/31/2014