Summit County Historical Society presents Summit Awards
DOWNTOWN AKRON — The Summit County Historical Society presented awards March 16 to the 2013 Class of Summit Award recipients, co-sponsored by the city of Akron.
These awards are presented to distinguished past and present residents of Akron who have been recognized nationally for inspirational accomplishments and whose life stories continue to impact Greater Akron.
To see the video biographies of each of the recipients, go to www.akronbuzz.com.
Awardees, with information provided by the city of Akron, included:
- Sports: Carol Heiss Jenkins, Hayes Jenkins and David Jenkins — Ice skating world champions Hayes Jenkins won gold, and Carol Heiss Jenkins took home silver in the 1956 Winter Olympics. Carol Heiss Jenkins and David Jenkins captured gold in 1960. The Jenkins brothers are graduates of Buchtel High School.
- Industrialism: Harvey Firestone, deceased, founder of the rubber company that bears his name.
- Humanitarianism: Brevet Maj. Gen. Alvin C. Voris, deceased, a citizen soldier who formed and led troops in the cause of the Union during the Civil War. After 1865, he was an Akron community leader and fought for equal rights for emancipated African slaves and women’s rights.
- Medicine: Dr. Haynes Robinson, a graduate of Akron West High School, founder of the Genetic Clinic at Akron Children’s Hospital and director of the Regional Genetic Center, selected as one of the “Best Doctors in America.”
- The Arts: Woodrow Nash, a Buchtel High School graduate, creates ceramic sculptures in the “African Nuveau” style he invented from his studio on South Main Street that have been collected worldwide and are in the homes of many Hollywood celebrities.
- Entertainment: Melina Kanakaredes, a graduate of Firestone High School, was the star of TV show “Providence” for five seasons and “CSI: NY” opposite Gary Sinise for six seasons.
The winners were recognized at Greystone Hall at a presentation hosted by former Akron Deputy Mayor Dave Lieberth. The recipients and/or their descendants were on hand to receive the honor.
The video biographies were produced in association with Mosher Media and were funded by a grant from the city of Akron as part of its support of local history projects.
More Entertainment News
Calendar of Events
- Akron Symphony: Home for the Holidays - 12/9/2016
- Nuance - 12/9/2016
- University of Akron Graduate String Quartet - 12/9/2016
- “America’s Got Talent” - 12/10/2016
- Dynamics Community Theater’s “Miracle on 34th Street” - 12/10/2016