Lock 3 getting ready for summer fun, festivals
|Lock 3 Park on South Main Street attracts hundreds of people to Downtown Akron on summer weekends for festivals and concerts.|
|Photo courtesy of city of Akron|
The city park will begin its 11th summer season of concerts and festivals this month. New features this season include a multiweek Cornhole Tournament.
Rock the Lock, the weekly Friday night free concerts, begins May 24. The concerts will again feature tribute bands playing the music of particular artists or genres. Local bands will again play as warm-up acts and be eligible for a $5,000 prize at the end of the summer based on audience voting.
This summer, most Saturday nights also will offer entertainment on the Lock 3 stage, much of it at no charge. In addition, the season will feature the Rib, White and Blue Festival during the July 4th holiday, the Italian-American Societies Festival and the National Hamburger Festival, as well as a weekly farmer’s market.
Lock 3 is located at 200 S. Main St. For more information on events, go to www.lock3live.com or call 330-375-2877. Here is the current Lock 3 schedule:
- Rock the Lock concerts
Free rock concerts again will take place at the outdoor amphitheater at Lock 3 most Fridays. Gates will open at 6 p.m., opening acts hit the stage at 7 p.m. and the headliner follows at 8:30. Most shows feature cover and tribute artists, with local bands opening the shows. In the following schedule, the artists being paid tribute to are indicated in parentheses when necessary.
May 24: Evil Ways (Santana) with the Juke Hounds
May 31: Marrakesh Express (Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young) with the JiMiller Band
June 7: Bad Medicine (Bon Jovi) with Stage Pass Live
June 14: Thunderbox (female metal tribute band) with Mouth Wired Shut
June 21: Changes in Latitudes (Jimmy Buffet) with Mo Mojo
June 28: Sharp Dressed Men (ZZ Top) with Monica Robins and the Whiskey Kings
July 5: Elevation (U2) with the Jim Gill Band
July 12: 1964 (The Beatles) with Aftermath
July 19: Simply Queen with Kerosene
July 26: Atomic Punks (Van Halen) with the Colin Dussault Blues Project
Aug. 2: Full Moon Fever (Tom Petty) with Magnatones
Aug. 9: Hollywood Nights (Bob Seger) with Victory Highway
Aug. 16: Draw the Line (Aerosmith) with Bassel and the Supernaturals
Aug. 23: Satisfaction (Rolling Stones) with Electric Mud
Aug. 30: ZOSO (Led Zeppelin) with Class A Bandits
- Cornhole Tournaments will take place June 7, 14 and 21, July 19 and 26 and Aug. 2 and 9. Registration (which includes two drink tickets and snacks) is $20 per team and starts at 5 p.m. those days, with a limit of 12 teams. First- and second-place teams will be invited to the Tournament of Champions Aug. 16.
- Saturday night events will include some free shows and others that require paid admission. Most shows will feature cover and tribute artists, with local bands opening the shows. In the following schedule, the artists being paid tribute to are indicated in parentheses when necessary.
June 29: Old School Soul with Rose Royce and Brass Construction ($5)
July 6: The Machine (Pink Floyd) with Joe Vitale Jr. Band
July 20: Hotel California (Eagles) with Cats on Holiday
July 27: Average White Band with Horns and Things ($5)
Aug. 3: The Prince Experience with Charita Franks and the Forever Band
Aug. 10: Touch (Motown variety) and The Old School with Best Kept Secret
Aug. 17: Separate Ways (Journey) with Zach and The Bright Lights ($5 as part of the National Hamburger Festival)
Aug. 24: Cameo with Rumpelstiltskin ($5)
- Festivals will bring music, food and special events to Lock 3 and South Main Street.
√ July 3-6: The annual Rib, White and Blue Festival will feature 10 barbecue vendors, other summertime food favorites and performances such as Bruce in the USA (Bruce Springsteen) with the TwistOffs July 3. The Akron Symphony Orchestra will perform its pops concert with a fireworks finale July 4. For details, visit www.akronribfestival.org.
√ July 12-14: The Italian-American Festival will feature local and regional food vendors, celebrations of Italian culture and special performances, such as Michael Sonata’s tribute to Frank Sinatra with opening act LaFlavour on July 13. For details, go to www.it-am.org.
√ Aug. 17-18: The Eighth Annual National Hamburger Festival will bring two days of grilling favorites to Akron with musical entertainment such as Grady/Miller and The Low Country Aug. 18. There is a $5 admission fee for the festival. For details, go to www.hamburgerfestival.com.
√ Sept. 14: The Global Village Festival is back for a second year with food, music and culture from around the world. More information is available at www.akrongvf.org.
- The Lock 3 Farmers Market, managed by the Downtown Akron Partnership, will bring farmers and vendors to the park on Fridays from July 19 to Sept. 27 from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
City officials said the city continues to underwrite the cost of events at Lock 3 through the sale of food and beverages and sponsors such as the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, Akron General Medical Center, The University of Akron, Miller Light, Cayman Jack Margaritas, Mike’s Hard Lemonade, Downtown Akron Partnership, Hitchcock Fleming and Associates, Miller’s Rentals and G. Stephens Inc.
More Entertainment News
- Weathervane entertains with Chekhov-style comedy
- Akron2Akron walking tours spotlight neighborhoods
- None Too Fragile’s ‘Beauty Queen’ features ‘superior’ acting
- Barberton’s Cherry Blossom Festival in 60th year
- Norton High School students host art party
- STEM learners present ideas to promote Akron arts
- West Side Cause for Celebration
- Akron2Akron walking tours spotlight neighborhoods
Calendar of Events
- Family Fishing - 4/29/2016
- University of Akron BassoonaRoo - 4/29/2016
- Walk a Mile in Her Shoes to benefit the Rape Crisis Center - 4/29/2016
- Lil’ Sprouts: age 3 and up - 4/29/2016
- University of Akron Dance Company Spring Concert - 4/29/2016