City to host annual Highland Square festival
HIGHLAND SQUARE — At a flag unveiling ceremony in the West Hill neighborhood May 7, Mayor Don Plusquellic announced the city of Akron will host the annual Highland Square Festival.
The new West Hill flags, designed by local artist Don Drumm, were unveiled by Drumm, Plusquellic and Ward 8 Councilwoman Marilyn Keith and are intended to bring enjoyment to its residents and distinctiveness to the West Hill neighborhood, according to city officials. [For more on that, see “WHNO unveils new Don Drumm-designed West Hill flags” in the May 2, 2013, West Side Leader or visit the archives at www.akron.com.]
“Highland Square is at the heart of the West Hill neighborhood,” said Plusquellic. “So it seemed appropriate to announce, at this very special flag unveiling, that the annual Highland Square Festival will grow and prosper with guidance from the city.”
Previously, the festival was held sporadically, occurring some years and not others. The event itself varied from a citywide festival to a small neighborhood event.
“By organizing the event, we hope it will become the type of event city residents flock to year after year — much like the Hardesty Park Art Expo in West Akron,” Plusquellic said.
The festival will feature local talent, including artists, solo musicians, bands and more.
“I am very excited that the city has taken an interest in the Highland Square festival and that it will host the event yearly,” said Jane Startzman, president of the West Hill Neighborhood Organization. “I truly think the city can add some consistency to the festival and turn it into a destination spot, if only for a day, for the entire city, year after year.”
Stephanie Kist contributed to this report.
More Entertainment News
- Porthouse opens season with ‘Sister Act’
- BioBlitz shines light on CVNP’s diversity
- Knight Center, Metro Parks presenting nature display
- STEM Middle School student wins design challenge
- Mardis, Meilinger wed in Cincinnati
- DAP announces changes to Akron Art Prize
- Area celebrations mark Independence Day
- DAR recognizes City of Green
Calendar of Events
- Rock-a-Bye Tales - 6/28/2016
- Kathy Johnson Trio - 6/29/2016
- The Big 5 Show - 6/29/2016
- Reading to the Rescues: ages 4 and older - 6/29/2016
- Heart to Heart Kids’ Time Camp - 6/29/2016