Spring Garden, UA collaborate during school year
|Photo courtesy of Spring Garden Waldorf School|
The program sends college students out to work in local schools with younger students on service projects. This school year, UA worked on five different projects with the SGWS community.
The year of collaboration began when five students from a UA English Composition II course decided to work with SGWS to beautify the facility, the goal being to help the outside of the building reflect what goes on inside the building, according to SGWS officials.
The next project was the creation of the Day of the Dead altar displayed at the school store last fall. The altar was built by UA Spanish students and SGWS eighth-grade students in celebration of the traditional Mexican celebration.
This spring, advanced Spanish Composition students collaborated with the seventh-graders for a reenactment of the novel “Don Quixote de la Mancha.” The UA composition students served as playwrights and wrote the script for the children to perform, as well as worked alongside the students to paint scenery and create props for the performance in April.
UA students came to work outdoors on two occasions as well. Twelve UA athletes came out for part of their Pay It Forward program. They helped remove hazardous trees, moved gravel to create a pathway, painted a classroom, painted an exterior door and reribboned the maypoles. A different group of UA students came out in May to help SGWS fourth-graders prepare their garden for spring planting, as shown above.
More Entertainment News
- Collaboration key to UA, Neos Dance Theatre’s ‘Snow White’
- Summit Choral Society commemorating Kent’s May 4
- Shaw JCC of Akron launches construction of new aquatics facility
- Classic barbershop sounds at Derbytown Chorus show
- Area residents celebrate ‘Sing With Your Child Month’
- William Wetmore Chapter members attend state conference
- Efforts to preserve former camp get boost from agreement, open house
- Akron Host Lions partake in World Lunch Relay
- West Side Cause for Celebration
- Summit Church offering Space Blast
Calendar of Events
- Easter Family Fun Day - 4/19/2014
- Sensory Story Time - 4/19/2014
- Terrarium Workshop - 4/19/2014
- Hop, Hop, Hop! - 4/19/2014
- “Snow White and the Magic Mirror: A Grimm Tale” - 4/19/2014