Halloween events planned in area
|Friendly witches handing out candy at the Akron Zoo’s Boo at the Zoo annual trick-or-treat event Oct. 12 included University of Akron students Jamie Wossilek, of Wakeman, at left, and Destin Nowicki, of Stow, third from left, both with the Alpha Phi Omega co-ed service fraternity, and Akron Zoo EdZOOcators Jen Frantz, of Cuyahoga Falls, second from left, and Barbera Kramer, of Canton, at right.|
|Photo: Ken Crisafi|
In addition, many communities have designated trick-or-treat times. Those residents planning to hand out candy are asked to leave their porch lights on during the time set for trick-or-treat.
The following is a list of designated nights and times for trick-or-treating in the West Side Leader coverage area, along with other planned community events:
- Akron: Most neighborhoods will host Beggars’ Night Oct. 26 from 5 to 7 p.m., which is the time the city recommends.
Also, the Akron Zoo’s Boo at the Zoo is back with its nonscary Halloween activities for families. The event, which features themed trick-or-treat stations, will take place Oct. 18-20 and 25-27. Hours are 5:30 to 8 p.m. on Fridays and 3 to 8 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. Admission is $10 for trick-or-treaters and $6 for observers. Akron Zoo members will receive free observer admission. Advanced tickets, which are $1 less, are now on sale at the zoo, 500 Edgewood Ave., on its website at www.akronzoo.org and at all Acme Fresh Market locations. Also, the zoo will serve a pizza and salad buffet in the Komodo Kingdom Café during Boo at the Zoo at a cost of $4.99 for children and $8.99 for adults. For more information, call 330-375-2550.
In addition, the Akron Art Museum will host Trick or Treat on South High Oct. 24 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at the museum, 1 S. High St. The event will feature art activities and a scavenger hunt. Register in advance at www.akronart museum.org. The cost is $5 per child.
- Bath: Beggars’ Night will take place Oct. 27 from 5 to 7 p.m. From 6 to 8 p.m., the Bath Fire Department’s annual Halloween Party will take place at the Fire Department, 3864 W. Bath Road. Admission is free. For more information, call 330-666-4007.
- Copley: Community-wide trick-or-treating will take place Oct. 27 from 5 to 7 p.m. Also planned is Halloween in the Park, sponsored by the Copley Police Department, Oct. 26 from 2 to 4:30 p.m. at Copley Community Park, 3232 Copley Road. The free event for Copley residents includes free trick-or-treat bags, glow sticks and pumpkins while supplies last. Hay rides, games, hot cider and doughnuts and a trick-or-treat “trail” for children age 10 and younger also will be available. In the event of rain, the event will be held at Copley Community Center, 1278 Sunset Drive. For details, call 330-666-4218.
- Cuyahoga Falls: Beggars’ Night will take place Oct. 26 from 6 to 8 p.m. The Cuyahoga Falls Parks and Recreation Department also is sponsoring the free Halloween Community Party that afternoon from 2 to 4 p.m. at Falls River Square. The event will include the Don Sitts Auto trunk-or-treat, a pumpkin carving contest and a costume contest. Costume contest contestants should be seated in the amphitheater by 2:15 p.m. Also, the purchase of a $5 activity stamp will include unlimited admission to the petting zoo, hayrides and other activities. Refreshments will be available for purchase. For details, call 330-971-8225.
- Fairlawn: Trick-or treating will take place Oct. 27 from 5 to 7 p.m.
- Granger: Beggars’ Night will be Oct. 27 from 2 to 4 p.m.
- Norton: City-wide trick-or-treating will take place Oct. 26 from 5 to 7 p.m.
- Peninsula: Trick-or-treating will take place Oct. 31 from 6 to 7:30 p.m.
- Richfield Township/Richfield Village: Trick-or-treating for the village and township will take place Oct. 31. Halloween festivities will begin with a parade, with assembly at 5:45 p.m. at Fellowship Hall on Broadview Road. The parade will start at 6 p.m. and end at the fire department. Any children interested in participating in the parade should wear a costume. Neighborhood trick-or-treating will take place from 6 to 8 p.m.
Also, the Village Recreation Department is putting on its annual family-friendly Haunted Recreation Center Oct. 25-26 at the Richfield Recreation Center, 3333 Brecksville Road. Haunting hours will be from 6 to 10 p.m. Admission is $5. Discounts are available. For more information, call 330-659-5818.
- Sharon: Trick-or-treating will be Oct. 31 from 6 to 8 p.m. in the area around Sharon Circle, according to township officials.
More Entertainment News
Calendar of Events
- Stewart’s Caring Place: A Cancer Wellness Center Events - 11/25/2014
- Pre-Holiday Book Sale - 11/26/2014
- Nature Drawing for Adults - 11/26/2014
- Joseph Arthur - 11/26/2014
- Mo Mojo - 11/26/2014