Halloween events planned in area
|Friendly witches handing out candy at the Akron Zoo’s Boo at the Zoo annual trick-or-treat event Oct. 12 included University of Akron students Jamie Wossilek, of Wakeman, at left, and Destin Nowicki, of Stow, third from left, both with the Alpha Phi Omega co-ed service fraternity, and Akron Zoo EdZOOcators Jen Frantz, of Cuyahoga Falls, second from left, and Barbera Kramer, of Canton, at right.|
|Photo: Ken Crisafi|
In addition, many communities have designated trick-or-treat times. Those residents planning to hand out candy are asked to leave their porch lights on during the time set for trick-or-treat.
The following is a list of designated nights and times for trick-or-treating in the South Side News Leader coverage area, along with other planned community events:
- Akron: Most neighborhoods will host Beggars’ Night Oct. 26 from 5 to 7 p.m., which is the time the city recommends.
Also, the Akron Zoo’s Boo at the Zoo is back with its nonscary Halloween activities for families. The event, which features themed trick-or-treat stations, will take place Oct. 18-20 and 25-27. Hours are 5:30 to 8 p.m. on Fridays and 3 to 8 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. Admission is $10 for trick-or-treaters and $6 for observers. Akron Zoo members will receive free observer admission. Advanced tickets, which are $1 less, are now on sale at the zoo, 500 Edgewood Ave., on its website, at www.akronzoo.org, and all Acme Fresh Market locations. Also, the zoo will serve a pizza and salad buffet in the Komodo Kingdom Café during Boo at the Zoo at a cost of $4.99 for children and $8.99 for adults. For additional information, call 330-375-2550.
In addition, the Akron Art Museum will host Trick or Treat on South High Oct. 24 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at the museum, 1 S. High St. The event will feature art activities and a scavenger hunt. Register in advance at www.akronart museum.org. The cost is $5 per child.
- Coventry: Trick-or-treat is Oct. 27 from 5:30 to 8 p.m. Those who participate are asked to leave their porch lights on. The Summit County Sheriff’s Office will provide increased patrols during the specified hours. For more information, call 330-644-0785.
- Green: Trick-or-treat is Oct. 26 from 6 to 8 p.m. Those planning on participating should leave their porch lights on.
Also, Green’s 17th Annual Trick-or-Treat Trail, Costume Contest and second Annual Touch-A-Truck Event is Oct. 19 at Boettler Park, 5300 Massillon Road. At 2 p.m., the annual costume contest will be held on the tennis courts for the age categories of infants to 2-year-olds, 3- to 5-year-olds, 6- to 8-year-olds and 9- to 12-year-olds. Prizes will be awarded in each category for first, second and third places. The Trick-or-Treat Trail will be open from 3 to 5 p.m. It begins on the walking path just past the soccer fields and loops around the pond. Admission is the donation of a nonperishable food item.
Beginning at 3 p.m. and throughout the trail time, the Touch-A-Truck event will be open to children to explore and touch a variety of vehicles, including the city’s street sweeper and dump truck, several fire vehicles, the Summit County Sheriff’s SWAT vehicle and more. In the event of inclement weather, go to www.cityofgreen.org for the event’s status.
- Lakemore: Trick-or-treat is Oct. 26 from 5 to 7 p.m. Prior to that, starting at 1 p.m., the annual Halloween Party for children will take place at the Municipal Building, 1400 Main St. Also that day, the Lakemore Firefighters Association will host its regular Halloween Pancake Breakfast from 9 to 11:30 a.m. at the station on Main Street.
- New Franklin: Trick-or-treat will take place Oct. 26 from 5 to 7 p.m.
- Norton: Citywide trick-or-treating will take place Oct. 26 from 5 to 7 p.m.
- Springfield: The suggested time for trick-or-treat is Oct. 26 from 5 to 7 p.m. Township officers will patrol neighborhoods at that time. Police also request that neighborhoods observing trick-or-treat at other times contact the Springfield Police Department at 330-784-1609 with the date and time they plan to celebrate so that police can be available.
More Entertainment News
Calendar of Events
- Electric Pressure Cooker Open Mic - 5/22/2015
- Lil’ Sprouts - 5/22/2015
- Kathy Johnson Trio - 5/22/2015
- Ron Kalinoski on “How to Grind Your Own Telescope Mirror”: Astronomy Club of Akron - 5/22/2015
- Wanted with Rock Brigade - 5/22/2015