Veterans Day events being celebrated throughout area
GREATER AKRON — Veterans Day is Nov. 11, but events will be held throughout the weekend to honor those who have served their country.
The federal holiday means that banks and post offices will be closed. Also, all Akron-Summit County Public Library locations will be closed for the day. In addition, some local governments will not hold their Monday meetings because of the holiday.
Here are some of the events taking place locally over the next few days to recognize veterans:
- The Akron Symphony Orchestra will present “A Salute to Those Who Serve” tomorrow, Nov. 9, at 8 p.m. at E.J. Thomas Hall, 198 Hill St. at The University of Akron (UA). Alvy Powell, of the U.S. Army Chorus, will join the symphony and its chorus for a mix of patriotic music honoring those who serve. Leon Bibb will narrate. Tickets are $25 to $55, with a 25 percent discount available for veterans. Call 330-535-8131 or 330-972-7570 for tickets.
- Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens is offering free admission to all veterans and active military personnel who present their military identification Nov. 10. The estate is open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Admission includes a self-guided tour of the 65-room Manor House, as well as access to the landscaped gardens and grounds. Accompanying family members must pay regular prices. Stan Hywet is located at 714 N. Portage Path. For more information, go to www.stanhywet.org or call 330-836-5533.
- The F.A. Seiberling Nature Realm Visitors Center, 1828 Smith Road, is closed most Mondays but will be open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Nov. 11 for Veterans Day. For details, go to summitmetroparks.org or call 330-865-8065.
The University of Akron
UA is hosting several events, including:
- The UA Army ROTC will guard over an eternal flame for a 24-hour period in memory of and in honor of veterans at the Buchtel Hall flagpole (at the corner of Buchtel Avenue and Fir Hill) from Nov. 10 at noon to Nov. 11 at noon.
- On Nov. 11, a Veterans Day continental breakfast will take place at 8 a.m. at the Student Union Ballroom, followed by an indoor ceremony at 9 a.m. with Terry Gould, a UA graduate who wrote “How Can You Mend This Purple Heart,” a fictionalized account of his own experiences in a military hospital. Jim Tressel, UA’s vice president of student success, will speak at 10 a.m. The service will move outside at 10:45 a.m. for a 21-gun salute at the Buchtel Hall flagpole. Gould will speak again Nov. 11 at 7:30 p.m. at E.J. Thomas Hall.
- Also Nov. 11, The Honoring Those Who Serve Celebration will take place from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on the third floor of InfoCision Stadium in the Musson Veterans Lounge. A Veterans Resource Fair will take place at the same time on the fifth floor.
All UA events are free and open to the public. For details, call 330-972-7382.
- North Coast WAVES Unit 21 will host its Veterans Day Celebration Nov. 9 at 11:30 a.m. at the 356th Fighter Group restaurant. The period from April 2013 to April 2014 is being recognized as the Year of Military Women, which honors women in all U.S. military branches: Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard. As part of this acknowledgement, North Coast WAVES will feature a showing of the film “The Invisible War” and host a discussion following the film. All female veterans are welcome to attend. The cost is $15. Call Unit Vice President Marlana Robertshaw at 330-788-5005 to reserve a seat.
- The city of Green’s Veterans Day ceremony will take place Nov. 11 at 10:45 a.m. at the Green Veterans Memorial Park, 1900 Steese Road. Lifelong Summit County resident and World War II veteran Pete Keslar, 89, will be the guest speaker. Keslar, a U.S. Marine, was heading to the mainland of Japan when the atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima. After the war, he returned home to the Akron area and starting working for Acme Fresh Market. He retired from Acme as director of sales in 1991. Mayor Dick Norton also will honor the veterans in attendance, and the Green Intermediate School Choir will perform. Following the ceremony, light refreshments will be served in the John Torok Community and Senior Center, 4224 Massillon Road. In the event of rain or inclement weather, go to www.cityofgreen.org after 9 a.m. on that day for cancellation information.
Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad (CVSR) will provide a free train ride through Cuyahoga Valley National Park (CVNP) for all current and retired military members, veterans and up to three guests Nov. 11. The train will depart from the Rockside Station, 7900 Old Rockside Road, at 1:30 p.m. for a three-hour excursion to Akron Northside Station and back. Tickets will be available at the Rockside Station on a first-come, first-served basis. For more information, go to www.CVSR.com or call 800-468-4070.
Special business offers
- Bob Evans restaurants will offer veterans and active military personnel free all-you-can-eat hotcakes Nov. 11. Veterans must provide proof of service.
- On Veterans’ Day, Nov. 11, customers who come in for a haircut at any U.S. Great Clips salon will receive a free haircut card to give to an active/inactive/retired military member of any branch, including the National Guard. Military members also can come in on Veterans’ Day for a free haircut or to pick up a free haircut card to use, with proof of service, any day before Dec. 31. There is a limit of one card per customer. Local to the South Side News Leader’s coverage area, Great Clips salons are located at: 790 Arlington Ridge, 3939 Massillon Road, 2511 Leland Ave., 1593 N. Main St. and 4350 Belden Village St. N.W. For additional locations, visit www.greatclips.com.
- Participating Friendly’s Ice Cream restaurants will offer veterans and active-duty personnel a free Big-Two-Do breakfast Nov. 11 from 7 to 11 a.m. to recognize those who have served. Veterans must show military identification or an honorable discharge card.Friendly’s are located at 2934 S. Arlington Road and 4490 Everhard Road. For details, visit www.friendlys.com.
More Entertainment News
Calendar of Events
- “Reasons to Be Happy” - 1/24/2017
- A New Adventure: group for widows and widowers - 1/25/2017
- Tuesday Musical: Imani Winds - 1/25/2017
- Full Circle Storytelling - 1/25/2017
- CrOoKeD - 1/25/2017