Bath couples host fundraiser, raise $6,500 for cancer charity
Shown above are Kevin and Brenda Spear and Heather and Dennis Bentley.
The Bentleys and Spears attended an event in August at which they learned more about the charity. After watching a video, which featured testimonials from past recipients, the couples were moved to help.
“Both Dennis and Kevin are urologists, and they see people battling kidney, bladder and prostate cancer every day,” said Heather Bentley. “The idea of giving these people a chance to feel normal and forget about the fact that they have cancer, even if only for a few days, was something we wanted to be a part of.”
Shown below enjoying the event are Paul and Jenny Hummel, of West Akron, and Matt and Jennifer Edwards, of Bath.
Shown at bottom left are Suzanne Manby, of West Akron; Kasey Firestine, of Copley; Jennifer Edwards, of Bath; and Kelly Allen, of West Akron.
“Our goal is to provide happy memories for our recipients,” said Alison Breaux, a Life Is Good No Matter What™ board member. “We know that we can’t cure these people, but what we can do is give them a reason to smile and enjoy some quality time with their loved ones.”
Prospective recipients for a cherished experience must: be a resident of Northern Ohio; be over the age of 18; have a diagnosis of a life-limiting cancer; have limited financial resources; and have the ability to meaningfully participate in the experience. Most recipients are referred through their physician.
Life Is Good No Matter What is all privately funded, according to organization officials.
“We are so appreciative of the Spears and the Bentleys and others who have come before them who have taken our challenge to ‘think outside the box’ when it comes to helping us raise money to support our mission,” said Breaux.
Breaux said the charity welcomes others who would be interested in either hosting a fundraiser or partnering with them via sponsorships or donations. Life Is Good No Matter What accepts in-kind donations of goods and services like airline miles, hotel points, gift cards, meals and entertainment and sports tickets.
For more information on how to get involved, call 855-544-6691 or visit www.lifeisgoodnomatterwhat.org.
|Photos courtesy of Anne McCoy|
More Entertainment News
- Collaboration key to UA, Neos Dance Theatre’s ‘Snow White’
- Summit Choral Society commemorating Kent’s May 4
- Shaw JCC of Akron launches construction of new aquatics facility
- Classic barbershop sounds at Derbytown Chorus show
- Area residents celebrate ‘Sing With Your Child Month’
- William Wetmore Chapter members attend state conference
- Efforts to preserve former camp get boost from agreement, open house
- Akron Host Lions partake in World Lunch Relay
- West Side Cause for Celebration
- Summit Church offering Space Blast
Calendar of Events
- A New Adventure - 4/23/2014
- Jeri Holland - 4/23/2014
- Blue Man Group - 4/23/2014
- Apollo’s Fire - 4/24/2014
- “Bye Bye Birdie” - 4/24/2014