Akron DAR bench dedication takes place at VA Outpatient Clinic
|Photo courtesy of Akron Chapter DAR|
The Akron DAR Bench Committee was chaired by junior member Susan Cunningham, who was assisted by junior member Becky Lybarger, new member Karen Bader and guest Reggie Taussig. Beginning last February, chapter members raised funds through donations and basket raffles organized by the chapter’s recording secretary, Christine Haas, with historian and junior member Mary Nicholis.
Akron Chapter DAR’s bench of light brown faux-wood was recently installed on a concrete foundation.
On Sept. 6, members of the Akron Chapter DAR, their families, veterans, CBOC staff and volunteers gathered to celebrate the dedication of the bench. The ceremony opened with Akron DAR Vice Regent Ginny Melver offering a scripture, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance. Reggie Watson, regent of Akron DAR and VA volunteer services deputy, introduced special guests Brian Moledor, medical administration officer of Akron CBOC; Rose McIntyre, Akron Chapter member and state historian, Ohio Society Daughters of the American Revolution (OSDAR); and Lora Staats, state chair, DAR Service for Veterans, OSDAR.
After the guests’ brief comments, Watson began her dedication of the bench and unveiled the commemorative plaque inscribed “Akron Chapter DAR, 90th Anniversary, 1923-2013.” She summarized the DAR’s commitment to historic preservation, education and patriotism. Cunningham later closed the ceremony with an invocation.
Before the crowd dispersed, George Fisher, commander of Summit County Veterans Council, surprised the Akron Chapter DAR with a framed certificate in appreciation for the chapter’s outstanding service to veterans.
Shown above are: (seated) Corresponding Secretary Roberta Dodd, Watson, Melver, Treasurer Pat Nay, (standing) Nicholis, Recording Secretary Christina Haas, Michelle Jay, Registrar Jill Filo, Cunningham, Lybarger and Bader.
More Entertainment News
- Collaboration key to UA, Neos Dance Theatre’s ‘Snow White’
- Summit Choral Society commemorating Kent’s May 4
- Shaw JCC of Akron launches construction of new aquatics facility
- Classic barbershop sounds at Derbytown Chorus show
- Area residents celebrate ‘Sing With Your Child Month’
- William Wetmore Chapter members attend state conference
- Efforts to preserve former camp get boost from agreement, open house
- Akron Host Lions partake in World Lunch Relay
- West Side Cause for Celebration
- Summit Church offering Space Blast
Calendar of Events
- Easter Family Fun Day - 4/19/2014
- Sensory Story Time - 4/19/2014
- Terrarium Workshop - 4/19/2014
- Hop, Hop, Hop! - 4/19/2014
- “Snow White and the Magic Mirror: A Grimm Tale” - 4/19/2014