Countryside Conservancy hosting classes for foodies, farmers
SUMMIT COUNTY — The Countryside Conservancy has announced the 2014 class lineup for Countryside U, an education program designed to inspire and inform gardeners, home cooks, farmers and food producers in Northeast Ohio.
The 2014 curriculum features a mix of returning favorites and new subjects, according to Conservancy officials. New for next year are a number of classes aimed at do-it-yourselfers:
- Cheesemaking 101, Jan. 22, 7-9 p.m., Church in the Valley, 2241 Everett Road in Peninsula: This class with Abbe Turner, of Lucky Penny Creamery, will allow participants to learn how to make homemade mozzarella and ricotta in their own kitchens. The cost is $40.
- Homebrewing 101, Feb. 6, 7-9 p.m., St. Thomas Eastern Orthodox Church, 555 S. Cleveland-Massillon Road in Fairlawn: This class with Larry Reuter, 2013 National Homebrew Competition first-place co-winner in the light lager category, will give students the knowledge to craft beer to their own tastes, without relying on a ready-made kit. The cost is $30.
- Home Breadmaking 101, Feb. 15, 3-5 p.m., Trigo’s Market Bakery, 3247 State Road in Cuyahoga Falls. Class participants are invited to Trigo’s Market Bakery, where they will learn the art of perfecting a loaf of rustic French and take home a loaf and recipes. The cost is $40.
Other classes will include: Quickbooks for Farmers (Jan. 28), Backyard Chicken Basics (April 12), Starting Your Own Vegetable Garden (April 24), Exploring the Small Farm Dream (May 14, 21, 28 and June 4) and Weeknight Meals Made Local (June 19).
The Countryside Conservancy connects people, food and land; manages three farmers’ markets; offers educational programming for farmers, backyard gardeners and home cooks through Countryside U courses; and through the Countryside Initiative program has re-established working family farms in Cuyahoga Valley National Park, according to Conservancy officials.
More Entertainment News
Calendar of Events
- Verb Ballets: “Works Reimagined: Continuing the Legacy of Heinz Poll”; “Carnival of the Animals” - 2/19/2017
- Akron Baroque and Singers Companye - 2/19/2017
- Pinterest Projects: Succulents - 2/19/2017
- “Pete’s Dragon” - 2/20/2017
- Friends of the Maltz Museum’s Presidents’ Day Celebration - 2/20/2017