Rubber City Kennel Club kicks off year with dog show
|The club’s annual show is open for the public to watch competition, as shown above, and special events like a Meet the Breeds opportunity.|
|Judges evaluate one of the dogs participating in a previous Rubber City Kennel Club show.|
|Photos courtesy of Rubber City Kennel Club|
Show Chairman Marianne Reder said 146 breeds will compete both days in events that will culminate with the naming of a Best in Show. About 1,200 dogs from all over the country will participate in the 74th annual event.
“It’s the first dog show of the year, not just in the area but in the country,” she said. “It’s right after the new year, so we get a good turnout. Everyone has had a few weeks off and is anxious to come.”
Competition will begin at 8:30 a.m. each day and should be completed by 5 p.m., she added.
The public is welcome to come and watch the events and other special activities at no charge, Reder said.
On Jan. 4 at noon, the public is welcome to watch a police dog demonstration by the Tallmadge Police Department. Reder said the club has supported the K-9 programs in the area by providing support for obtaining dogs and special equipment for the programs.
On Jan. 5 at noon, the show will present a Meet the Breeds event, at which the public can talk to dog owners and meet purebred dogs to learn more about them. Children are welcome to attend, but show organizers do not allow baby strollers in the arena. Only dogs competing are allowed at the show.
Reder said the club has about 30 members. Some will work the day of the show, while others will participate and compete with their dogs.
She said the club members are passionate about all dogs.
“It isn’t all about purebred dogs,” she said. “The people doing this love all dogs.”
The fairgrounds is located at 229 E. Howe Road. For details on the club and show, call 330-689-0014 or go to www.rubbercitykennelclub.com.
More Entertainment News
- Coach House staging hit in ‘Lend Me a Tenor’
- Mothersbaugh exhibit a lighthearted display of artist’s world view
- Zenith Awards, golf tournament mark Travel & Tourism Week
- Public invited to take part in BioBlitz
- Medina County historical sites on tour
- Gallery hosts exhibit of APS student art
- Celebrate national parks’ centennial at CVNP
Calendar of Events
- Meet Me in the Garden: Succulent Wreath - 5/25/2016
- A Night at the Museum: Real Women. Real Talk - 5/25/2016
- Summer Volunteer Orientation: ages 11-18 - 5/25/2016
- Paws for Reading with Therapy Dogs Pepper and Rocky - 5/26/2016
- Metro Parks Family Tree: Seiberling Family - 5/26/2016