Akronís innovations subject of Lieberth book
|Former Akron deputy mayor Dave Lieberth’s new book takes a historical look at what made Akron what it is today.|
|Image courtesy of Dave Lieberth|
“Inventive. Industrious. Inspired.” is a coffee-table book that Lieberth said is meant to serve as an economic development tool for the city and the Greater Akron Chamber of Commerce.
“There never really was a retail strategy of any kind,” Lieberth said.
Still, the West Akron resident said he was pleasantly surprised to see that Akron Children’s Hospital ordered 200 of the books and that other retailers have shown an interest. The book is available at Rubber City Clothing on High Street and will be at Amazon.com for $59.99.
Proceeds from sales of the book go to the Summit County Historical Society, of which Lieberth is vice chair.
Lieberth said there are two parts to the book. The first half features eight narrative chapters on how Akron got to be where it is today. The second half looks more in depth at the past 30 years.
“It’s fairly current, so people overseas and around the country can narrow in on their interest, whether it’s health care or the arts and culture,” Lieberth said.
The color book also features “a ton of photos,” he said.
“For people who don’t know anything about Akron, there’s a lot of stuff in the book that is fairly basic,” he said. “But I think people here would enjoy reading it. It’s a nice time capsule.”
It’s also a way to communicate the assets of Akron, he added.
“I’ve tried to illustrate why Akron has always been an unusual place, a different place, and why our creativeness and inventiveness have propelled us,” he said. “We’re still a very successful manufacturing center, and that’s no accident.”
The book was published by Cherbo Publishing, which, according to its website, specializes in publishing art book-quality publications for commercial, civic, government, historical and trade organizations.
More Entertainment News
- Holiday comedy on stage at Weathervane Playhouse
- Scrooge comes to life in Magical Theatreís ĎChristmas Carolí
- Summit County Historical Society names curator
- Falls bicentennial book earns honors
- Copley Royalty Court thanks Copley firefighters
- Childrenís author visits St. Hilary School
- West Side Cause for Celebration
- Norton Historical Society celebrates Christmas past
Calendar of Events
- Steve Cipriano - 12/17/2014
- Crohnís and Colitis Foundation Support Group - 12/17/2014
- Akron Symphony Holiday Pops - 12/18/2014
- Yoga in the Park - 12/18/2014
- Weekday Walkers - 12/18/2014