Area DAR, SAR members celebrate 90th anniversaries
|Photo courtesy of Lafayette Chapter SAR|
The opening procession began with the Archibald Willard Color Guard, shown at right bottom, posting the colors, with members of the Lafayette Chapter SAR and Western Reserve Chapter SAR participating dressed in Revolutionary War-era uniforms, according to event officials.
For the Akron Chapter DAR, Regent Reggie Watson, shown at right top in the photo at right, presented guests from the Ohio Society of the DAR (OSDAR), including Sandy McCann, OSDAR state regent, shown on the left. Other OSDAR guests, Ohio Society SAR guests, officers of the two hosting chapters and 90th anniversary committee also were recognized.
After official postponement of chapter business and lunch, Christopher Craft, special projects assistant at the Massillon Museum of Art, gave a presentation tying the events leading to the Revolutionary War with those of the War of 1812 and the Civil War. Craft concluded by reciting the Gettysburg Address from memory, according to event officials.
During closing remarks, Watson displayed a proclamation by Akron Mayor Don Plusquellic that Nov. 9 was Akron Chapter DAR Day.
The Akron Chapter DAR and Lafayette Chapter SAR are Akron area community service organizations whose members have proven their direct genealogical lineage to an American Revolution patriot, according to event officials. Anyone interested in joining may contact either group. For Akron Chapter DAR, email firstname.lastname@example.org. For Lafayette Chapter SAR, email DavidAllisonSAR@aol.com or visit www.lafayette-ohssar.com.
— By Ariel Hakim
More Entertainment News
- Magical Theatre unveils restoration
- Six decked-out homes on Sugar Plum Tour
- Gifts, inspiration found at Crafty Mart
- Falls native receives award from White House
- Coach House staging entertaining ‘Blithe Spirit’
- Decorated trees, holiday displays needed for Christmas in the Park
- CVNP’s winter Schedule of Events available
Calendar of Events
- Cookbook Book Club: Chestnuts - 11/30/2015
- Baby Time - 11/30/2015
- American Sewing Guild Fairlawn Group - 12/1/2015
- Boy=Girl - 12/2/2015
- Handmade Gifts for the Holidays: ages 3-6 - 12/2/2015