First Night ushers in new year
Initial attendance figures are estimated based on the clicker totals of the venues, according to DAP officials.
Ten downtown sites were filled with more than 80 artists and groups showcasing music, dance, theater and interactive and visual arts. Several new and engaging artists and activities made their debut, such as Shivering Timbers, Smokin’ Fez Monkeys and Ohio Mobile Gaming video game trailer. Annual favorites like Hard Days Night and O’Hare School of Irish Dance returned to entertain revelers of all ages.
The Mainstage was set up on South Main between the Akron Civic Theatre and Lock 3 Park and featured two fireworks countdown shows. The children’s fireworks show, shown above, took place at 9 p.m. following a performance from Zobapago. The midnight fireworks, shown below, capped off the evening after demonstrations by the Team Studio Akron Ice Carving Club, shown at right top, and fire entertainers the Ohio Burn Unit, shown at right bottom, as well as a performance by the Gospel Meets Symphony Choir.
For the second year, a collaboration of community voices participated with the crowd as part of the countdown finale show at midnight. Long-time supporter METRO RTA provided bus shuttles, keeping crowds warm while moving from venue to venue. Also, for the first time in a decade, the Akron Art Museum opened all galleries to First Night attendees, according to DAP officials.
— By Kathleen Collins
Photos: Dale Dong
More Entertainment News
- Weathervane Playhouse staging ‘successful’ ‘Unnecessary Farce’
- Akron native James III blends stories, impressions in new show
- KNR raises $20,000 for Rape Crisis Center
- Princesses, heroes highlight of Family Expo
- West Side Cause for Celebration
- Child & Family Awareness Month contest winners announced
- Taste of Coventry raising funds for new playground
- Green High School students among contest winners
- Green PTA Reflections winners recognized
- South Side Cause for Celebration
Calendar of Events
- Frolicking Fairies Crafts: for kindergarten-second grade students - 5/7/2015
- Word Games - 5/7/2015
- “The Theory of Everything” - 5/7/2015
- Speculative Fiction Book Discussion: “Golden Son” by Pierce Brown - 5/7/2015
- Lil’ Sprouts - 5/8/2015