First Night ushers in new year
Initial attendance figures are estimated based on the clicker totals of the venues, according to DAP officials.
Ten downtown sites were filled with more than 80 artists and groups showcasing music, dance, theater and interactive and visual arts. Several new and engaging artists and activities made their debut, such as Shivering Timbers, Smokin’ Fez Monkeys and Ohio Mobile Gaming video game trailer. Annual favorites like Hard Days Night and O’Hare School of Irish Dance returned to entertain revelers of all ages.
The Mainstage was set up on South Main between the Akron Civic Theatre and Lock 3 Park and featured two fireworks countdown shows. The children’s fireworks show, shown above, took place at 9 p.m. following a performance from Zobapago. The midnight fireworks, shown below, capped off the evening after demonstrations by the Team Studio Akron Ice Carving Club, shown at right top, and fire entertainers the Ohio Burn Unit, shown at right bottom, as well as a performance by the Gospel Meets Symphony Choir.
For the second year, a collaboration of community voices participated with the crowd as part of the countdown finale show at midnight. Long-time supporter METRO RTA provided bus shuttles, keeping crowds warm while moving from venue to venue. Also, for the first time in a decade, the Akron Art Museum opened all galleries to First Night attendees, according to DAP officials.
— By Kathleen Collins
Photos: Dale Dong
More Entertainment News
- Porch Rokr returns to Highland Square
- ASO opens season celebrating national anthem
- WRP closes season with ‘Deadly Murder’
- Akron Zoo announces death of sloth bear
- West Side Cause for Celebration
- Akron students create mural in Coventry
- Library celebrates milestones with party
- Scouts honor first responders
- South Side Cause for Celebration
Calendar of Events
- The Help - 9/19/2014
- Medina County Story Fest - 9/20/2014
- A Vision to Share, a Story to Tell - 9/20/2014
- “Deadly Murder” - 9/20/2014
- Using Ancestry in Your Genealogy Research - 9/20/2014