Sons of Italy group collects gifts for Project RISE
|Photo courtesy of Project RISE|
The toy drive was coordinated by Mary Schifano, a retired APS teacher, and Norm Ross, according to Project RISE officials.
Sons of Italy members and Project RISE staff members are shown above wrapping some of the presents prior to their distribution.
Project RISE is a federally funded, collaborative effort by APS, local shelters and the Akron community to provide supplemental educational services to children experiencing homelessness, according to Project RISE officials.
Its staff members delivered the collected gifts to children in Akron homeless shelters, sang Christmas carols and shared cookies and punch with the families.
Last March, APS recognized the Sons of Italy at its volunteer recognition banquet for its ongoing service to Project RISE, according to Project RISE officials.
More Entertainment News
- Porthouse opens season with ‘Sister Act’
- BioBlitz shines light on CVNP’s diversity
- Knight Center, Metro Parks presenting nature display
- STEM Middle School student wins design challenge
- Mardis, Meilinger wed in Cincinnati
- DAP announces changes to Akron Art Prize
- Area celebrations mark Independence Day
- DAR recognizes City of Green
Calendar of Events
- Rock-a-Bye Tales - 6/28/2016
- Kathy Johnson Trio - 6/29/2016
- The Big 5 Show - 6/29/2016
- Reading to the Rescues: ages 4 and older - 6/29/2016
- Heart to Heart Kids’ Time Camp - 6/29/2016