Kiwanis members mark 2014 with new event
|Photos courtesy of Chuck Seeley|
The group watched as the first annual Portage Lakes Bluegill Drop took place at the stroke of midnight. The idea was created and officiated by Kiwanis member Larry Hunter, and included food, fun and games, according to event officials.
Kiwanis members and friends are pictured above during the Bluegill Drop.
The bluegill used for the ceremony, shown at right, is actually a pillow owned by Hunter. Bluegill fish are plentiful in the Portage Lakes, and the group uses their catch after several months of fishing for an annual fish fry fundraiser in September, according to Kiwanis members.
More Entertainment News
- Collaboration key to UA, Neos Dance Theatre’s ‘Snow White’
- Summit Choral Society commemorating Kent’s May 4
- Shaw JCC of Akron launches construction of new aquatics facility
- Classic barbershop sounds at Derbytown Chorus show
- Area residents celebrate ‘Sing With Your Child Month’
- William Wetmore Chapter members attend state conference
- Efforts to preserve former camp get boost from agreement, open house
- Akron Host Lions partake in World Lunch Relay
- West Side Cause for Celebration
- Summit Church offering Space Blast
Calendar of Events
- A New Adventure - 4/23/2014
- Jeri Holland - 4/23/2014
- Blue Man Group - 4/23/2014
- Apollo’s Fire - 4/24/2014
- “Bye Bye Birdie” - 4/24/2014