Kiwanis members mark 2014 with new event
|Photos courtesy of Chuck Seeley|
The group watched as the first annual Portage Lakes Bluegill Drop took place at the stroke of midnight. The idea was created and officiated by Kiwanis member Larry Hunter, and included food, fun and games, according to event officials.
Kiwanis members and friends are pictured above during the Bluegill Drop.
The bluegill used for the ceremony, shown at right, is actually a pillow owned by Hunter. Bluegill fish are plentiful in the Portage Lakes, and the group uses their catch after several months of fishing for an annual fish fry fundraiser in September, according to Kiwanis members.
More Entertainment News
- Porch Rokr returns to Highland Square
- ASO opens season celebrating national anthem
- WRP closes season with ‘Deadly Murder’
- Akron Zoo announces death of sloth bear
- West Side Cause for Celebration
- Akron students create mural in Coventry
- Library celebrates milestones with party
- Scouts honor first responders
- South Side Cause for Celebration
Calendar of Events
- Star Spangled Banner, 1812 Flag and National Anthem with Sharon Myers - 9/23/2014
- Avian Photography with Dan Behm - 9/24/2014
- A New Adventure - 9/24/2014
- Cookin’ with Miss Keni: grades 1-5 - 9/24/2014
- Getting Started with Medicare - 9/25/2014