Donzell’s Garden Center presenting free Saturday seminars
SOUTH AKRON — Donzell’s Flower and Garden Center, 937 E. Waterloo Road, will present free gardening seminars on Saturdays at 11 a.m. Call 330-724-0550, ext. 110, to register.
- Feb. 8, “Growing Orchids in Your Home.” The Orchid Society will offer information for beginners or more experienced growers.
- Feb. 15, “Purple Martins Majesty,” with speaker Larry Hunter, of the Portage Lakes Purple Martin Society. Propagating purple martins and educating the public on the benefits of these birds is the society’s mission. Attendees will learn about these birds, which are primarily dependent on the assistance of humans in areas east of the Mississippi. Their population grows each year in the Portage Lakes area, thanks to the efforts of this group.
- Feb. 22, “Seed Starting Basics,” with speaker Dan Stefancik, of Donzell’s. Stefancik will keep seed starting simple for those just starting out.
- March 1-2, Greater Akron Orchid Society Show. There will be no Saturday seminar. The Orchid Show offers exotic orchid displays, orchid vendors and experts on hand to answer questions. The show is free and open to the public.
- March 8, “Spring Seeding and Feeding for the New American Lawn,” with speaker Tim Duffy, a Jonathan Green representative. Duffy will have some door-prizes and giveaways.
- March 15, “Gardening With Herbs,” with speaker Barb Oare, of the Quail Hollow Herb Society. Growing and harvesting tips will be offered for many popular herbs attendees might want to include in their gardens.
- March 22, “Bonsai Basics and Beyond,” with speaker Dale Cochoy, of the Akron Canton Bonsai Society. Cochoy will bring examples of plant varieties and demonstrate potting and shaping techniques and care tips.
- March 29, “Vegetable Gardening Basics,” with speaker Lee Paulson, a Master Gardener. Paulson will cover the basics for those who want to enjoy their own fresh-picked vegetables.
More Entertainment News
- Weathervane entertains with Chekhov-style comedy
- Akron2Akron walking tours spotlight neighborhoods
- None Too Fragile’s ‘Beauty Queen’ features ‘superior’ acting
- Barberton’s Cherry Blossom Festival in 60th year
- Norton High School students host art party
- STEM learners present ideas to promote Akron arts
- West Side Cause for Celebration
Calendar of Events
- Family Fishing - 4/29/2016
- University of Akron BassoonaRoo - 4/29/2016
- Walk a Mile in Her Shoes to benefit the Rape Crisis Center - 4/29/2016
- Lil’ Sprouts: age 3 and up - 4/29/2016
- University of Akron Dance Company Spring Concert - 4/29/2016