Cars race to finish at Pinewood Derby
|Photos: Lew Stamp|
According to event officials, the event drew more than 100 Cub Scouts from Barberton, Coventry, Doylestown, Green, New Franklin, Norton and Springfield, who put their derby cars to the test in a gravity-powered race. Participating Scouts carved their own cars out of a block of pine for the race.
Shown above is master of ceremonies and Cub Scout Pack No. 3146 leader Kevin Jacobson leading Cub Scouts in the national anthem prior to the start of the event.
Pinewood derby cars are shown at right top racing down the track during a heat.
Wyatt Robertson, of Pack No. 3132, which meets in Norton, is pictured at right bottom, celebrating a win in his heat after a race.
The top three fastest racers were recognized in each of the four age levels of Cub Scouts.
The first-place winners included: for Tigers, Jason Hill, of Pack No. 3215, meeting at St. Francis de Sales Parish in Coventry; for Wolves, Isaac Boyd, of Pack No. 3330, meeting at Green Valley United Methodist Church in Green; for Bears, Brandon Vincent, also of Pack No. 3330; and for Webelos, Tony McNeil, also of Pack No. 3330.
— By Maria Lindsay
More Entertainment News
- Fresh Beat Band’s kid-friendly pop returns to Akron
- CMA featuring collection of surrealist, modernist photographs
- St. Sebastian’s September Spectacular continues anniversary celebration
- Miller South student collects books for others
- DAR honors Laura Dunlop for veterans’ assistance
- West Side Cause for Celebration
- Fun treats found at Boo at the Zoo
Calendar of Events
- Artists Who Teach - 10/31/2014
- “Family Health” Book Sale - 10/31/2014
- Beyond D.A.B.D.A.: Grief Counseling with Children and Adults - 10/31/2014
- The Midtown Men - 10/31/2014
- Creepy Crawlies - 10/31/2014