Cars race to finish at Pinewood Derby
|Photos: Lew Stamp|
According to event officials, the event drew more than 100 Cub Scouts from Barberton, Coventry, Doylestown, Green, New Franklin, Norton and Springfield, who put their derby cars to the test in a gravity-powered race. Participating Scouts carved their own cars out of a block of pine for the race.
Shown above is master of ceremonies and Cub Scout Pack No. 3146 leader Kevin Jacobson leading Cub Scouts in the national anthem prior to the start of the event.
Pinewood derby cars are shown at right top racing down the track during a heat.
Wyatt Robertson, of Pack No. 3132, which meets in Norton, is pictured at right bottom, celebrating a win in his heat after a race.
The top three fastest racers were recognized in each of the four age levels of Cub Scouts.
The first-place winners included: for Tigers, Jason Hill, of Pack No. 3215, meeting at St. Francis de Sales Parish in Coventry; for Wolves, Isaac Boyd, of Pack No. 3330, meeting at Green Valley United Methodist Church in Green; for Bears, Brandon Vincent, also of Pack No. 3330; and for Webelos, Tony McNeil, also of Pack No. 3330.
— By Maria Lindsay
More Entertainment News
- Porthouse opens season with ‘Sister Act’
- BioBlitz shines light on CVNP’s diversity
- Knight Center, Metro Parks presenting nature display
- STEM Middle School student wins design challenge
- Mardis, Meilinger wed in Cincinnati
- DAP announces changes to Akron Art Prize
- Area celebrations mark Independence Day
- DAR recognizes City of Green
Calendar of Events
- Fossils For Kids - 6/30/2016
- Art by Portage Path CLC Students - 6/30/2016
- Members’ Show - 6/30/2016
- Summer Basketball Skills Camp - 6/30/2016
- Art by Portage Path Community Learning Center Students - 6/30/2016