Cars race to finish at Pinewood Derby
|Photos: Lew Stamp|
According to event officials, the event drew more than 100 Cub Scouts from Barberton, Coventry, Doylestown, Green, New Franklin, Norton and Springfield, who put their derby cars to the test in a gravity-powered race. Participating Scouts carved their own cars out of a block of pine for the race.
Shown above is master of ceremonies and Cub Scout Pack No. 3146 leader Kevin Jacobson leading Cub Scouts in the national anthem prior to the start of the event.
Pinewood derby cars are shown at right top racing down the track during a heat.
Wyatt Robertson, of Pack No. 3132, which meets in Norton, is pictured at right bottom, celebrating a win in his heat after a race.
The top three fastest racers were recognized in each of the four age levels of Cub Scouts.
The first-place winners included: for Tigers, Jason Hill, of Pack No. 3215, meeting at St. Francis de Sales Parish in Coventry; for Wolves, Isaac Boyd, of Pack No. 3330, meeting at Green Valley United Methodist Church in Green; for Bears, Brandon Vincent, also of Pack No. 3330; and for Webelos, Tony McNeil, also of Pack No. 3330.
— By Maria Lindsay
More Entertainment News
- Porch Rokr returns to Highland Square
- ASO opens season celebrating national anthem
- WRP closes season with ‘Deadly Murder’
- Akron Zoo announces death of sloth bear
- West Side Cause for Celebration
- Akron students create mural in Coventry
- Library celebrates milestones with party
- Scouts honor first responders
- South Side Cause for Celebration
Calendar of Events
- Star Spangled Banner, 1812 Flag and National Anthem with Sharon Myers - 9/23/2014
- Avian Photography with Dan Behm - 9/24/2014
- A New Adventure - 9/24/2014
- Cookin’ with Miss Keni: grades 1-5 - 9/24/2014
- Getting Started with Medicare - 9/25/2014