Shaw JCC of Akron launches construction of new aquatics facility
|Photo courtesy of the Shaw Jewish Community Center of Akron|
On hand at the launch were city officials, members of the JCC Board of Directors, the pool committee (Make a Splash!) and its chairs — Thom Mandel (board president), Kathy Moses Salem and Lila Marks (honorary), according to JCC officials.
Shown at right, from left, at the launch are Mandel, Stephanie Davis, Eric Goldstein, Bonnie Cohen, Salem, Marks and Billy Soule (assistant to Akron Mayor Don Plusquellic for community relations).
According to JCC officials, the indoor pool at the Shaw JCC closed in the summer of 2013 after a structural engineer determined that its 40-year-old roof was no longer viable.
The renovations of the indoor pool area will include a few modifications to increase safety and accessibility: it will have nonskid tiles to help prevent children and adults from slipping in the indoor pool; it will have easy access into the pool for people with disabilities (American with Disabilities Act approved); and the whirlpools will be moved to the deck of the pool, where their use can be supervised, according to JCC officials. The locker rooms will be included in the renovations, as well.
According to JCC officials, the estimated cost is $1.75 million, and the new facility is expected to re-open in the fall.
Mandel and his wife, Lisa, along with Salem, the Shaw JCC’s Women’s Auxiliary and other donors have contributed over $800,000 to date, according to JCC officials. A gift of up to $500,000 will be transferred from the Albert L. and Janet A. Schultz Fund to match the gift from the Mandels, according to JCC officials.
More Entertainment News
- Fresh Beat Band’s kid-friendly pop returns to Akron
- CMA featuring collection of surrealist, modernist photographs
- St. Sebastian’s September Spectacular continues anniversary celebration
- Miller South student collects books for others
- DAR honors Laura Dunlop for veterans’ assistance
- West Side Cause for Celebration
- Fun treats found at Boo at the Zoo
Calendar of Events
- “Virtues and Vices” to benefit Child Guidance and Family Solutions - 11/1/2014
- Neos Dance Theatre’s “Count: The Legend of Dracula” - 11/1/2014
- Basket Weaving 101: Pumpkin Basket - 11/1/2014
- Learn and Do Safety Fair - 11/1/2014
- Composting - 11/1/2014