Shaw JCC of Akron launches construction of new aquatics facility
|Photo courtesy of the Shaw Jewish Community Center of Akron|
On hand at the launch were city officials, members of the JCC Board of Directors, the pool committee (Make a Splash!) and its chairs — Thom Mandel (board president), Kathy Moses Salem and Lila Marks (honorary), according to JCC officials.
Shown at right, from left, at the launch are Mandel, Stephanie Davis, Eric Goldstein, Bonnie Cohen, Salem, Marks and Billy Soule (assistant to Akron Mayor Don Plusquellic for community relations).
According to JCC officials, the indoor pool at the Shaw JCC closed in the summer of 2013 after a structural engineer determined that its 40-year-old roof was no longer viable.
The renovations of the indoor pool area will include a few modifications to increase safety and accessibility: it will have nonskid tiles to help prevent children and adults from slipping in the indoor pool; it will have easy access into the pool for people with disabilities (American with Disabilities Act approved); and the whirlpools will be moved to the deck of the pool, where their use can be supervised, according to JCC officials. The locker rooms will be included in the renovations, as well.
According to JCC officials, the estimated cost is $1.75 million, and the new facility is expected to re-open in the fall.
Mandel and his wife, Lisa, along with Salem, the Shaw JCC’s Women’s Auxiliary and other donors have contributed over $800,000 to date, according to JCC officials. A gift of up to $500,000 will be transferred from the Albert L. and Janet A. Schultz Fund to match the gift from the Mandels, according to JCC officials.
More Entertainment News
- Magical Theatre unveils restoration
- Six decked-out homes on Sugar Plum Tour
- Gifts, inspiration found at Crafty Mart
- Falls native receives award from White House
- Coach House staging entertaining ‘Blithe Spirit’
- Decorated trees, holiday displays needed for Christmas in the Park
- CVNP’s winter Schedule of Events available
Calendar of Events
- Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous - 11/26/2015
- Ballroom Nights - 11/27/2015
- Black Friday Music Party - 11/27/2015
- Author Fran Wilde - 11/28/2015
- “Nutcracker” - 11/28/2015