Classic barbershop sounds at Derbytown Chorus show
|The Derbytown Chorus will present “Harmony For All Seasons” at its annual show April 26-27.|
|Photo courtesy of Derbytown Chorus|
The 67th annual show will take place April 26 at 7:30 p.m. and April 27 at 2 p.m. at the Cuyahoga Falls High School (CFHS) Auditorium, 2300 Fourth St., with the theme “Harmony for All Seasons.”
“We wanted to do something with more traditional barbershop classics, and it ties in with the seasons of the year and the seasons of life,” said Derbytown Chorus member Mark Nedel, of Kent.
This year’s show is being organized by member Bud Couts. In addition to performances by the Derbytown Chorus, which will have about 40 members performing, two guest quartets will entertain.
Forefront, which earned the bronze medal in international competition in 2013, is a Midwest quartet that formed in 2009. Also performing will be Boardwalk, a Georgia-based group that were silver medalists in the Dixie District in 2013.
A change for this year is that instead of shows on Friday and Saturday nights, there will be Saturday night and Sunday matinee performances.
“We decided to try a matinee because it’s a lot easier for senior citizens, to which we cater to with the music, for them to get to it,” Nedel said.
The matinee also will be a great opportunity for families to attend the show, he added.
Also this year, blocks of seating are available for groups who attend the shows, Nadel said.
As in previous years, attendees are invited to the Afterglow party following the Saturday show. It features a catered brunch and more entertainment by the Derbytown Chorus and their guest quartets in the CFHS cafeteria. Tickets for the party are $15.
The Derbytown Chorus is part of the Akron Chapter of the Barbershop Harmony Society, a premier all-men’s a cappella singing group that sings a wide variety of music arranged in the barbershop style. They have been in existence in Akron since 1945.
Nedel said new members are currently being sought. Those who are interested can stop by the open house taking place April 29 at 7:30 p.m. at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, 50 N. Prospect St. in Downtown Akron.
All tickets for the annual show are reserved. Tickets are $20 or $15 each for groups of 10 or more and $5 for students and children. Tickets are available online at www.derbytownchorus.org by credit card or through PayPal, by calling 330-690-6158 or at the door.
More Entertainment News
- No errors, just comedy in Ohio Shakespeare Festival’s show
- Importance of Earth Day should not be forgotten
- Fashion in the Falls to showcase spring trends
- Autism Society of Greater Akron presents Caring Bunny event
- Bath Community Garage Sale set for June 10
- Young women presented at Sweetheart Ball
- Akron Chapter of Jack and Jill celebrates Founders’ Day
- Local Sons of Italy marks milestone
Calendar of Events
- Fiction Book Club: “Truly Madly Guilty” - 4/25/2017
- Yoga for Homeschoolers: ages 8-12 - 4/25/2017
- PiYo with Morgan Webb - 4/25/2017
- Click and Sip Digital Photography Class - 4/26/2017
- Tuesday Musical: Escher String Quartet - 4/26/2017