Lock 3 hosting concerts, events this summer
|Lock 3 Park on South Main Street attracts hundreds of people to Downtown Akron on summer weekends for festivals and concerts.|
|Photo courtesy of the city of Akron|
First up is the season’s first free Friday Rock the Lock concert featuring Kiss tribute band Mr. Speed with G-Force starting at 7 p.m.
The venue, entering its 11th year, hosts pop and rock concerts most Friday and Saturday nights, according to Lock 3 officials. In addition to a full concert schedule with acts ranging from brass bands to heavy metal to classical and pop, Lock 3 will host several festivals and the weekly Farmers’ Market.
The adjacent Lock 4 is home to Wednesday Lock Bottom Blues jazz concerts beginning with Wanda Hunt July 9 and Gospel Sundays beginning July 27.
Lock 3 Marketing Director Maria Nagel said this season has a few more acts than in past years and she is “definitely excited” about the Aug. 14 appearance of the Indigo Girls with Anne E. DeChant and Hanna Thomas during the Flair festival. Admission is $10 and advance tickets are available through TicketMaster at 800-745-3000 or www.akroncivic.com. The concert and festival are in conjunction with the Gay Games.
Nagel said she is looking forward to another successful season and is hoping for cooperative weather. When the venue opened in 2003, Nagel said organizers were thrilled to draw 1,000 event-goers.
“Now we’re sad if we only have 3,000,” said Nagel, adding most Lock 3 concert events now draw 5,000 to 6,000 people.
Lock 3 is located at 200 S. Main St. For more information on events or to purchase tickets to concerts that require paid admission, go to www.lock3live.com.
Here is the current Lock 3 schedule:
Beginning its fifth year of operation, the Lock 3 Farmers’ Market will open June 20 and continue through Sept. 12. The outdoor producers-only market operates from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Fridays, according to City of Akron officials.
New this year is The Friday Celebrity Fit and Green Ride, a half-hour lunchtime bicycle ride with a local celebrity for up to 10 riders. The ride, beginning each week at 12:15 p.m., takes participants to the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath and downtown attractions. Loaner bikes and helmets are available or participants can bring their own. Participant prizes include T-shirts, bicycle light sets and Do Downtown cards. Preregister by contacting Andy Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org or 330-375-2851.
Special events at the Farmers’ Market include the June 20 Downtown Employee Appreciation Day, the Aug. 15 Pickle Making Contest, the Sept. 5 Salsa Making Contest and the Oct. 3 Fall Festival.
Friday and Saturday concerts
In the following schedule, the tribute artist, if applicable, is listed in parentheses. Picnic baskets are welcome at all Rock the Lock concerts (Friday concerts) and most other concerts not associated with a festival, said Nagel. Concerts are free unless noted. The schedule below is listed through July.
May 23: Mr. Speed (Kiss) with G-Force at 7 p.m.
May 30: China Grove (The Doobie Brothers) with JiMiller Band at 7 p.m.
June 6: Fleetwood Mix (Fleetwood Mac) with Kerosene Band at 7 p.m.
June 13: Atomic Punks (Van Halen) with Victory Highway at 7 p.m.
June 20: Changes in Latitudes (Jimmy Buffett) with Monica Robbins and the Whiskey Kings at 6 p.m.
June 27: Night Train (Guns and Roses) with Metal Inc. at 7 p.m.
June 28: The Original Lakeside with Slave at 7 p.m., $10 admission
July 18: Brian Culbertson with Horns and Things presented by Lock 3 at the Akron Civic Theatre at 7 p.m., admission $15 to $30, advance tickets from Ticketmaster or www.akroncivic.com
July 18: Motley 2 (Motley Crue) with 11After at 7 p.m.
July 19: Legendary Ladies of Motown (Tina Turner, Dianna Ross, Donna Summer and Martha Reeves) with Marilyn Rivers All Star Review at 7 p.m.
July 25: Dreamer (Supertramp) with Scarlet and The Harlots at 7 p.m.
July 26: WAR with Relatively Jammin Blues Band at 7 p.m., $10 admission
Friday night cornhole tournaments return this summer to Lock 3. Entrants will compete for a $1,000 grand prize. Registration begins at 7 p.m. and is limited to the first 16 teams. Entry fee is $20 and includes two drink tickets and snacks. The first- and second-place finishers from each week will be invited to play in the Aug. 15 Tournament of Champions. Preliminary double-elimination rounds are June 6, 13 and 20; July 18 and 25; and Aug. 1 and 8.
- July 2-5: The annual City of Akron’s Rib, White and Blue Festival draws rib vendors from all across the country to vie for cash prizes and bragging rights, according to city officials. The gates will open at 11 a.m. each day and admission is free. The festival will feature Bruce in the USA (Bruce Springsteen and The E-Street Band) with Zach and The Bright Lights July 2 at 6 p.m.; Hotel California (The Eagles) with Roger Hoover and The Hunt July 3 at 6 p.m.; and 1964 The Tribute (The Beatles) with The Speed Bumps and the Brothers Gecht July 5 at 4 p.m. On July 4, music will begin at 4 p.m. with Alex Bevan and continue with the Brass Band of the Western Reserve at 6 p.m. and the Akron Symphony Orchestra pops concert at 8 p.m., with a fireworks finale at 9:45 p.m. For details, visit www.akronribfestival.org.
- July 11-13: The 67th Annual Italian-American Festival will feature dozens of vendors of authentic Italian food. The festival will open for lunch on Friday and continue through Sunday. The gates will open at 11 a.m. each day and admission is free. Draw the Line (Aerosmith) with Jonah Koslen’s Stage Pass Now, Rock Radio Band and Blaming Amy will perform July 11 at 6 p.m. Frankie Valli tribute band The Jersey Kid will perform July 12 at 6:30 p.m. For details, go to www.it-am.org.
- July 20: The 34th annual African-American Festival, sponsored by The Akron African American Cultural Association and the City of Akron, will open at 11 a.m. with free admission until 5 p.m. After 5 p.m., admission is $7. The Dazz Band is set to perform.
- Aug. 9-10: The National Hamburger Festival offers one of the largest assortments of hamburgers assembled in one place, according to city officials. The gates will open at noon and admission is $5. For details, go to www.hamburgerfestival.com.
- Aug. 14: The Flair Festival, which will run from 11:30 a.m. to 11 p.m., will take place in conjunction with the Gay Games. Admission is free. For more details, visit www.gg9cle.com.
- Sept. 13: Global Village Festival will feature food, music and culture from around the world. For more details, visit www.akrongvf.org.
Lock 4 concerts
Lock 4 is home again this summer to the Wednesday night Lock Bottom Blues and Jazz Club concerts, as well as Gospel Sundays, which return for a second year. Blues concerts will begin at 7 p.m. and concerts on Gospel Sundays will take place from 5 to 7 p.m. All concerts are free. Lock 4 is adjacent to Lock 3 and connected to the Cascade parking garage. Entrance to Lock 4 is on Bowery Street between Lock 3 and the Akron Civic Theatre.
- Lock Bottom Blues and Jazz Club concerts (schedule is listed through July)
July 9: Wanda Hunt
July 16: Moises Borges Brazilian Jazz
July 23: Fabulous Voices
July 30: Wallace Collman
- Gospel Sundays concerts
July 27: JLTS (Just Love to Sing Gospel Singers)
Aug. 10: Henry Dunn’s Road to Glory on the Road
Aug. 17: Mountain of the Lord Fellowship
Aug. 24: Mt. Olive Baptist Church
Aug. 31: Ohio Gospel Showcase/K. Miles & RP
According to city officials, sponsorships and foundation underwriting are largely responsible for keeping Lock 3 events free or at minimal admission. Those sponsors include Akron General Medical Center, Tramonte Distributing, Miller Lite, Miller Fortune, Coca-Cola, Downtown Akron Partnership, G. Stephens Inc., Hitchcock Fleming and Associates, John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, The University of Akron, Cascade Auto Group, Rubber City Harley-Davidson, Hilton Akron/Fairlawn, PCS Mobile, WAKR-AM, WONE-FM and WQMX-FM, according to information provided by the city.
More Entertainment News
Calendar of Events
- Dirty Deeds (tribute to AC/DC) with Grunge DNA - 5/27/2016
- Play: Theatre Games with Wandering Aesthetics: ages 5-9 - 5/27/2016
- Tony Rio with Socrates and the Philosophers - 5/27/2016
- A New Adventure - 5/28/2016
- Electric Pressure Cooker Open Mic - 5/28/2016