Summer full of free area concerts
GREATER AKRON — The days are getting longer and the weather warmer — perfect conditions to enjoy the area’s free summer concert series.
Industrious concert-goers can find free entertainment in several area communities.
Lock 3 Park in Downtown Akron began its free Friday and Saturday night concerts May 23, but most communities are just getting started. [For Lock 3 and Lock 4 concert schedules, check the archives at www.akron.com or go to www.lock3live.com.]
Here’s a rundown of free concerts scheduled in the South Side News Leader’s coverage area:
Akron Art Museum Downtown at Dusk
Free Thursday concerts at the Akron Art Museum this summer will be located in the shade of the Northeast Ohio Golf Charities Terrace. The museum’s iQcafe will be open and, since it’s Free Thursday, visitors can stroll the museum’s galleries for free. Concerts are from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. The museum is located at 1 S. High St. in Downtown Akron. For more details, go to www.akronartmuseum.org.
June 19: Anne E. DeChant
June 26: The Numbers Band
July 3: Wanda Hunt Band
July 10: The Speedbumps
July 17: Zach
July 24: Horns and Things
July 31: JD Eicher and The Goodnights
Aug. 7: Blu Monsoon Jazz Concerts
Akron Symphony Orchestra
The symphony will perform throughout the Akron area this summer on selected Sundays and July 4. The following free concerts will begin at 7:30 p.m. unless otherwise noted: July 4 at Lock 3 (8 p.m.); July 20 at Goodyear Heights Metro Park; Aug. 3 at Glendale Cemetery; and Aug. 10 at Firestone Park.
The City of Green’s free Children’s Concert Series will return June 12 at 11 a.m. at the Freda Hunter Bates Pavilion next to Heritage Hill Playground at Boettler Park, 5300 Massillon Road. The series includes concerts and other presentations, and they will feature an interactive show for children of all ages. Families can bring a picnic lunch to enjoy during the performance. Some picnic tables are available, but attendees also can bring their own blankets and chairs. The concerts run through July.
In the event of inclement weather the day of the concert, visit www.facebook.com/cityofgreenohio for cancellation information.
• June 12: Kulture Kids
• June 19: Flumpa & Friends
• June 26: Mad Cap Puppet Show
• July 10: Leonardo & Makin’ Waves Band
• July 17: Outback Ray’s Amazing Animal Show
• July 24: E & J Reptile Show
Springfield’s Summer Concert Series includes performances presented Fridays from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Vincent J. Mealy Memorial Gazebo located at Springfield Lake Park on Canfield Road.
The presentations have been sponsored by a number of local businesses.
The concert series begins today, June 6, and runs until Aug. 15, which has been set aside as a rain date. No alcohol or animals other than guide dogs will be permitted in the park, and children must be at least 18 or accompanied by an adult. For cancellation information, visit the township’s website at www.springfieldtownship.us.
• June 6: Rudy and the Professionals (reggae and Motown)
• June 13: Get Back (music from the 1950s and ’60s)
• June 20: Remembering Elvis Live (1950s Las Vegas years)
• June 27: Phil ’n the Blanks (rock ’n roll from the 1950s to ’70s)
• July 11: The Hitmen (rock from the 1970s to ’90s)
• July 18: Bluegrass Mountaineers
• July 25: Greased Lightning (1950s to ’80s variety show)
• Aug. 1: The Swizzle Stick Band (Motown, oldies)
• Aug. 8: Colin Dussault (rock and soul)
• Aug. 15: rain date
More Entertainment News
Calendar of Events
- History Hike - 11/28/2014
- After Thanksgiving Hike - 11/28/2014
- Brent Kirby and His Luck with Rebecca Wohlever - 11/28/2014
- Akron Metro Parks Hiking Club - 11/28/2014
- A New Adventure - 11/29/2014