Hale Farm featuring summer full of events
|Hale Farm & Village once again will feature a Civil War re-enactment Aug. 9-10. Shown is a past re-enactment.|
|Photo: Ken Love|
In addition to the special events, visitors to Hale Farm, located at 2686 Oak Hill Road, can experience on a daily basis livestock talks on the pigs, chickens, sheep and the team of oxen that call Hale Farm home. There are daily demonstrations from the trades and crafts staff, including glass blowing, pottery making, blacksmithing, candle making, spinning, weaving and broom making, said Jason Klein, site manager.
Hale Farm- and Ohio-crafted items are available for purchase in the village marketplace, Klein said. The museum store is located in the Gatehouse Visitor Center during regular museum hours and is accessible without paying the admission fee, he said.
The village café is open from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., when the museum is open and serves deli-style sandwiches and salads, according to Klein.
Hale Farm is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesdays through Sundays in June, July (closed July 4) and August.
Unless otherwise noted, events are included in the daily admission fee, which is $10 for adults, $5 for children ages 3-12 and free for Western Reserve Historical Society members and those younger than 2. Reservations for Hale Farm events can be made at 330-666-3711, ext. 1720; at email@example.com; or on the website, www.wrhs.org.
The following are events scheduled this summer:
- Fun on the Farm: Each one-hour Fun on the Farm program consists of a craft; a story, rhyme or song; a snack; and a visit to a museum site, according to Hale Farm officials. Recommended for ages 2-6, programs start at 10:30 a.m. and reservations are required. The cost is $8 per child with one adult free for members and $10 per child with one adult free for nonmembers. The cost for additional adults is $5 each.
June 13: Planting a Rainbow, with “Planting a Rainbow,” by Lois Ehlert
June 20: Pioneer Cooking from the Garden with “Stone Soup,” by Marcia Brown
June 27: From Milk to Butter with “Like Butter on Pancakes,” by Jonathan London
July 18: Babe, the Blue Ox with “Paul Bunyan,” by Eric Blair
July 25: The Little Red Hen with “The Little Red Hen,” by Paul Galdo
Aug. 1: Baa, Baa, Black Sheep, with “Baa, Baa, Black Sheep,” by Moira Kemp
Aug. 8: Here Comes the Cavalry with “Horses!” by Gail Gibbons
- Camp Hale: Campers ages 7-12 will experience life in pioneer days at Camp Hale, according to Hale Farm officials. Camp will be from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on select dates. Camp tickets cost $40 for members and $50 for nonmembers.
√ Camp Hale: I am a Farmer will take place June 26 and children will meet the Hale Farm farmer, care for farm animals, complete morning farm chores, make butter and use simple farming equipment to cultivate crops.
√ Camp Hale: I am a Pioneer will take place July 10 and children will complete morning chores, gather fresh produce from the gardens, make soup, create and play with pioneer toys and visit a pioneer schoolhouse.
√ Camp Hale: I am a Craftsman will take place July 24 and children will meet the potter, blacksmith, glassblower, broom maker and weaver; design and produce a weaving; explore entrepreneurship and starting a business; and market a product at the General Store.
√ Camp Hale Civil War Education Day will take place Aug. 8 and will kick off Civil War Re-enactment weekend. The special Camp Hale experience includes drilling with a Civil War soldier, meeting the 6th Ohio Volunteer Cavalry, tending horses and designing a uniform, according to Hale Farm officials.
- Home and Garden tour: Hale Farm & Village gardens will be on display June 21-22 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. during the second annual Home and Garden Tour. Visitors can learn about the history of the buildings and about the historic horticulture and products available from the gardens, according to event officials. There will be presentations on beekeeping and companion planting in the garden. Local gardening organizations will be on site.
- Music in the Valley: The 39th annual Music in the Valley Folk Music and Wine Festival is set for July 12-13 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day. The event will feature performances by local musicians and — for the first time at the festival — Ohio-made wine, according to event officials. Craft and trade demonstrations will take place and food will be available.
- Civil War Re-enactment: Hale Farm will be the site of thundering hooves and firing cannons during the two-day Civil War Re-enactment Aug. 9-10. Visitors can learn about the lives of soldiers and of those left at home, according to Hale Farm officials. The re-enactment will be 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day.
- Made in Ohio Art and Craft Festival: The Aug. 30 Made in Ohio Art and Craft Festival will feature Ohio artisans and local restaurants. Admission is $5 and includes tours of the grounds and buildings as well as the festival.
More Entertainment News
Calendar of Events
- History Hike - 11/28/2014
- After Thanksgiving Hike - 11/28/2014
- Brent Kirby and His Luck with Rebecca Wohlever - 11/28/2014
- Akron Metro Parks Hiking Club - 11/28/2014
- A New Adventure - 11/29/2014