Portage Lakes Fireworks Association announces July 4 activities
PORTAGE LAKES — The Portage Lakes Fireworks Association will present three annual activities to celebrate the Fourth of July.
The annual Light Up the Lakes, a nighttime boat parade, will be held June 28. Boaters are invited to decorate their boats with lights and participate in the parade by meeting in front of the Akron Rotary Camp on Rex Lake at 9:30 p.m. Cash prizes of $1,000, $500 and $250 for first-, second- and third-place winners, respectively, will be awarded to the best entries later that evening at Dietz’s Landing, according to association officials. To participate, boaters should register online at www.plfa.net.
The annual Portage Lakes fireworks will be presented July 5 beginning at dusk. Fireworks will be shot off from Mason’s Point on Turkeyfoot Lake. The rain date is July 6.
To assist in presenting the fireworks show, the association is accepting tax-deductible donations via checks, cash or credit cards. Checks should be made out and sent to Portage Lakes Fireworks Association, P.O. Box 26923, Akron, OH 44319. To make a donation via a credit card, visit the website. Also, cash donations can be dropped off at Ayers Insurance, Dano’s Lakeside Pub, Dusty’s Landing or Dietz’s Landing.
The 39th annual daytime Boat Parade is scheduled for July 5 at 1 p.m. The open-themed event will form at Keiffer’s Marine on East Reservoir. The parade will end at Portage Lakes State Park Beach. Cash prizes of $700, $300 and $100 will be awarded for the best decorated boats, according to association officials. One participant also will be selected to receive the Tommy Leighton Award trophy. Registration forms are available at Keiffer’s Marine, located at 252 Portage Lakes Drive.
After the boat parade, a sand castle building contest will take place on the State Park Beach from 2 to 4 p.m., with cash prizes to be awarded for the best creations.
For more information about events, visit the website.
Maria Lindsay contributed to this report.
More Entertainment News
- No errors, just comedy in Ohio Shakespeare Festival’s show
- Importance of Earth Day should not be forgotten
- Fashion in the Falls to showcase spring trends
- Autism Society of Greater Akron presents Caring Bunny event
- Bath Community Garage Sale set for June 10
- Young women presented at Sweetheart Ball
- Akron Chapter of Jack and Jill celebrates Founders’ Day
- Local Sons of Italy marks milestone
Calendar of Events
- Yoga and Mimosa; Yoga and Wine - 4/24/2017
- The Art of Journaling; Men Facing Grief Support Group - 4/24/2017
- Fiction Book Club: “Truly Madly Guilty” - 4/25/2017
- Yoga for Homeschoolers: ages 8-12 - 4/25/2017
- PiYo with Morgan Webb - 4/25/2017