Portage Lakes Fireworks Association announces July 4 activities
PORTAGE LAKES — The Portage Lakes Fireworks Association will present three annual activities to celebrate the Fourth of July.
The annual Light Up the Lakes, a nighttime boat parade, will be held June 28. Boaters are invited to decorate their boats with lights and participate in the parade by meeting in front of the Akron Rotary Camp on Rex Lake at 9:30 p.m. Cash prizes of $1,000, $500 and $250 for first-, second- and third-place winners, respectively, will be awarded to the best entries later that evening at Dietz’s Landing, according to association officials. To participate, boaters should register online at www.plfa.net.
The annual Portage Lakes fireworks will be presented July 5 beginning at dusk. Fireworks will be shot off from Mason’s Point on Turkeyfoot Lake. The rain date is July 6.
To assist in presenting the fireworks show, the association is accepting tax-deductible donations via checks, cash or credit cards. Checks should be made out and sent to Portage Lakes Fireworks Association, P.O. Box 26923, Akron, OH 44319. To make a donation via a credit card, visit the website. Also, cash donations can be dropped off at Ayers Insurance, Dano’s Lakeside Pub, Dusty’s Landing or Dietz’s Landing.
The 39th annual daytime Boat Parade is scheduled for July 5 at 1 p.m. The open-themed event will form at Keiffer’s Marine on East Reservoir. The parade will end at Portage Lakes State Park Beach. Cash prizes of $700, $300 and $100 will be awarded for the best decorated boats, according to association officials. One participant also will be selected to receive the Tommy Leighton Award trophy. Registration forms are available at Keiffer’s Marine, located at 252 Portage Lakes Drive.
After the boat parade, a sand castle building contest will take place on the State Park Beach from 2 to 4 p.m., with cash prizes to be awarded for the best creations.
For more information about events, visit the website.
Maria Lindsay contributed to this report.
More Entertainment News
- Square Fest street festival returns to Highland Square
- Streep’s character sight for sore ears in ‘Florence Foster Jenkins’
- Alzheimer’s Association kicks off walk at airship base
- Akron Chapter of Jack and Jill of America members attend teen conference
- West Side Cause for Celebration
- Sun shines on art-A-palooza
Calendar of Events
- Gospel Sundays: Tampa Murphy and the Highland Square Community Choir - 8/28/2016
- Billy Crowbeak - 8/28/2016
- Phenology: Whispers from Mother Nature - 8/28/2016
- Family Story Time - 8/28/2016
- Yoga and Mimosa; Yoga and Wine - 8/29/2016