Pirates take over Portage Lakes
The event, presented by the Portage Lakes Kiwanis with participation from local organizations, drew plenty of landlubbers for some family fun.
Shown below, from left, are Betty Seeley, of New Franklin, and Portage Lakes Kiwanis members Sherry Leavitt, of Akron, and Dale Dietz, of Ellet, at a registration tent for a variety of children’s activities.
Shown at right bottom, from left, are Barberton residents Adyson DeSonne, 6, and Emma Davis, 2, working on crafts. Adyson, Emma and Sawyer DeSonne, 2, who is not pictured, as well as Rylan Davis, 5, all won first place in a pirate costume contest.
Also at the event was a Girl Scout booth offering instruction on letterboxing, which combines navigational skills and rubber stamp artistry in a treasure-hunt-style outdoor quest. Shown at right top, from left, manning the booth are Hunter Wells, 14, of New Franklin, and her mother, Tina Wells, the Girl Scout Troop No. 90441 and Troop No. 90991 leader, along with Allison Giroux, 11, of Canal Fulton. Hunter is a second-year senior and national delegate in Troop No. 90991. Allison is with Girl Scout Troop No. 60043 and is a second-year cadet.
Pirate Days also offered boat rides to “Treasure Island.” Shown at top, from left, aboard one boat ride is Jerry Solosky and his grandson Parker Solosky, of Green; boat captain Tim Peterson, past president of the Portage Lakes Kiwanis, one of the founders of this event four years ago; the Manns family of West Akron; and the Keckler and Miller families of Firestone Park with guests from Texas.
— By Maria Lindsay
Photos: Krista Galloway
More Entertainment News
- Weathervane entertains with Chekhov-style comedy
- Akron2Akron walking tours spotlight neighborhoods
- None Too Fragile’s ‘Beauty Queen’ features ‘superior’ acting
- Barberton’s Cherry Blossom Festival in 60th year
- Norton High School students host art party
- STEM learners present ideas to promote Akron arts
- West Side Cause for Celebration
Calendar of Events
- Family Fishing - 4/29/2016
- University of Akron BassoonaRoo - 4/29/2016
- Walk a Mile in Her Shoes to benefit the Rape Crisis Center - 4/29/2016
- Lil’ Sprouts: age 3 and up - 4/29/2016
- University of Akron Dance Company Spring Concert - 4/29/2016