Akron Arts Expo continues to draw crowds
The juried fine arts and crafts show featured over 160 artists, food, a children’s area and entertainment.
Whatever the weather, the free event tends to draw a crowd, bringing over 30,000 patrons every year, according to event organizers. Sunday visitors to the expo were met with alternating sun and rain and humidity all day.
The artisans’ handcrafted creations were in competition for Best in Show and first place awards given in four categories.
Artist Kelly Crosser Alge, of Findlay, won Best in Show, the top award at the expo, for her ornamental glasswork.
Daniel Powers, of Dayton, is shown standing by his booth at right top. He won first place in two-dimensional art for his photography from around the world.
Chad Anderson, shown with his artwork at top, from Cedar Springs, Michigan, took first place in three-dimensional art for his metal sculptures.
William Shearrow, of Canton, shown at right middle, won first place in ornamental crafts for his pottery, which is displayed on the wall behind him.
The first place winner for functional art was the ceramic work of Sam Hitchman, of Cincinnati, shown at right inside his booth with his work.
As visitors browsed among the craft tents, entertainers such as belly dancers from Visions of the Nile, shown below, in West Akron brought a variety of entertainment to expo visitors.
— By Ariel Hakim
Photos: Dale Dong
More Entertainment News
- No errors, just comedy in Ohio Shakespeare Festival’s show
- Importance of Earth Day should not be forgotten
- Fashion in the Falls to showcase spring trends
- Autism Society of Greater Akron presents Caring Bunny event
- Bath Community Garage Sale set for June 10
- Young women presented at Sweetheart Ball
- Akron Chapter of Jack and Jill celebrates Founders’ Day
- Local Sons of Italy marks milestone
Calendar of Events
- Yoga and Mimosa; Yoga and Wine - 4/24/2017
- The Art of Journaling; Men Facing Grief Support Group - 4/24/2017
- Fiction Book Club: “Truly Madly Guilty” - 4/25/2017
- Yoga for Homeschoolers: ages 8-12 - 4/25/2017
- PiYo with Morgan Webb - 4/25/2017