Akron Arts Expo continues to draw crowds
The juried fine arts and crafts show featured over 160 artists, food, a children’s area and entertainment.
Whatever the weather, the free event tends to draw a crowd, bringing over 30,000 patrons every year, according to event organizers. Sunday visitors to the expo were met with alternating sun and rain and humidity all day.
The artisans’ handcrafted creations were in competition for Best in Show and first place awards given in four categories.
Artist Kelly Crosser Alge, of Findlay, won Best in Show, the top award at the expo, for her ornamental glasswork.
Daniel Powers, of Dayton, is shown standing by his booth at right top. He won first place in two-dimensional art for his photography from around the world.
Chad Anderson, shown with his artwork at top, from Cedar Springs, Michigan, took first place in three-dimensional art for his metal sculptures.
William Shearrow, of Canton, shown at right middle, won first place in ornamental crafts for his pottery, which is displayed on the wall behind him.
The first place winner for functional art was the ceramic work of Sam Hitchman, of Cincinnati, shown at right inside his booth with his work.
As visitors browsed among the craft tents, entertainers such as belly dancers from Visions of the Nile, shown below, in West Akron brought a variety of entertainment to expo visitors.
— By Ariel Hakim
Photos: Dale Dong
More Entertainment News
- Coach House staging hit in ‘Lend Me a Tenor’
- Mothersbaugh exhibit a lighthearted display of artist’s world view
- Zenith Awards, golf tournament mark Travel & Tourism Week
- Public invited to take part in BioBlitz
- Medina County historical sites on tour
- Gallery hosts exhibit of APS student art
- Celebrate national parks’ centennial at CVNP
Calendar of Events
- Meet Me in the Garden: Succulent Wreath - 5/25/2016
- A Night at the Museum: Real Women. Real Talk - 5/25/2016
- Summer Volunteer Orientation: ages 11-18 - 5/25/2016
- Paws for Reading with Therapy Dogs Pepper and Rocky - 5/26/2016
- Metro Parks Family Tree: Seiberling Family - 5/26/2016