Global Village Festival coming up
DOWNTOWN AKRON — The third annual Global Village Festival of Greater Akron, a celebration of Akron’s own melting pot of cultures, will take place Sept. 13 at Lock 3 Park, 200 S. Main St.
The noon to 9 p.m. event will take place rain or shine. Admission and parking are free.
The theme for this year’s festival is Heirloom Gardens, and the festival committee is seeking recipes for a community cookbook. Sharing recipes is a perfect way to share traditions that have been carried from around the world to Akron, according to the event website. Recipes should be submitted on official recipe cards found at www.akrongvf.org/Contest.htm. Recipes will be organized into a cookbook the committee hopes to have available for sale by Christmas, with proceeds used to fund future projects, the website stated.
The festival will feature ethnic food and cooking demonstrations and an open market place. Throughout the day, there will be live cultural entertainment of authentic ethnic music, dance and other performances, organizers said. Interactive cultural, religious and holistic health exhibits also are planned.
Among this year’s sponsors are Joshua Tree Productions, Confucius Institute, International Institute of Akron, Akron International Friendship, United Disability Services and May and Chun Fu Chen.
In 2012, a small committee of cultural community members and the founding partners that included Asian Services In Action Inc., International Institute of Akron, Akron International Friendship, United Way of Summit County, Lock 3 and the City of Akron, established the first annual celebration of international cultures.
More Entertainment News
- GroundWorks program reflects on transition, language
- Strong acting featured in Coach House play
- None Too Fragile stages ‘Skull in Connemara’
- Revere Reflections art contest state winners announced
- Sisters looking for new home
- Ivy searching for special home
- Area residents raise funds for Green memorial
Calendar of Events
- Bringing Down the Dam - 3/30/2017
- “Trolls” - 3/30/2017
- Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous - 3/30/2017
- Hi-Fructose Storytelling with Wandering Aesthetics - 3/30/2017
- Woodland Garden and Wine Workshop - 3/30/2017