Volunteers needed to make a difference
To the editor:
The spirit of volunteerism [was] alive and well on Oct. 27, Make A Difference Day. Americans nationwide [worked] together to make their communities better places to live.
Civic-minded folks seeking a significant way to make a difference in and around Summit County should consider volunteering for the Internal Revenue Service’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and/or Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs.
VITA and TCE volunteers help low income, senior and military taxpayers to prepare their federal taxes free of charge. Training is provided.
Last year, about 50 volunteers prepared almost 1,700 returns for lower-income and senior taxpayers in Summit County, resulting in area taxpayers receiving almost $3 million in refunds. Of that, about $1.4 million was due to the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), a refundable tax credit available to taxpayers with lower end wage incomes.
The Internal Revenue Service is seeking additional partner organizations to host new sites and VITA/TCE volunteers to help prepare returns in Summit County and neighboring counties during the 2013 filing season.
Want to make tax time less taxing for others? Search “Volunteer” at www.IRS.gov, then email TaxVolunteer@IRS.gov. Volunteer for VITA and/or TCE, and help make a positive difference in others’ lives.
Jennifer Jenkins, IRS field media relations, Columbus
- Bath resident offers Minor Road fix
- Copley resident disappointed in ODOT process
- West Akron resident critical of city officials
- Cartoon: 4-16-15
- Coventry teacher asking residents to support learning
- Resident says Coventry’s open enrollment policy needs change
- New Franklin reader questions septic fees
- Voter supports Coventry renewal levy
- Coventry woman seeking levy support
Calendar of Events
- Figure Drawing and Painting with Model - 4/21/2015
- Teen Program: You’re a Poet and You Didn’t Know It - 4/22/2015
- Steve Cipriano - 4/22/2015
- University of Akron Concert Band - 4/22/2015
- Feeding Time: ages 5 and older - 4/22/2015