Volunteers needed to make a difference
To the editor:
The spirit of volunteerism [was] alive and well on Oct. 27, Make A Difference Day. Americans nationwide [worked] together to make their communities better places to live.
Civic-minded folks seeking a significant way to make a difference in and around Summit County should consider volunteering for the Internal Revenue Service’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and/or Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs.
VITA and TCE volunteers help low income, senior and military taxpayers to prepare their federal taxes free of charge. Training is provided.
Last year, about 50 volunteers prepared almost 1,700 returns for lower-income and senior taxpayers in Summit County, resulting in area taxpayers receiving almost $3 million in refunds. Of that, about $1.4 million was due to the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), a refundable tax credit available to taxpayers with lower end wage incomes.
The Internal Revenue Service is seeking additional partner organizations to host new sites and VITA/TCE volunteers to help prepare returns in Summit County and neighboring counties during the 2013 filing season.
Want to make tax time less taxing for others? Search “Volunteer” at www.IRS.gov, then email TaxVolunteer@IRS.gov. Volunteer for VITA and/or TCE, and help make a positive difference in others’ lives.
Jennifer Jenkins, IRS field media relations, Columbus
- Reader voting for Roemer
- Teacher supports Charney
- West Akron man wants ‘more for our buck’
- Richfield resident urging yes on Issues 10-11
- Student supports Prentice
- New Franklin woman wants Clinton to pay for police protection
- Parent/teacher supporting Springfield levies
- Coventry teacher requesting renewal of levy
- Coventry resident responds to superintendent
- New Franklin man promoting candidates
- Coventry board official asking for ‘yes’ vote
Calendar of Events
- The Tubes - 10/24/2014
- Tales for Tots - 10/24/2014
- Voices in the Valley: The Numbers Band - 10/24/2014
- Socks in the Frying Pan - 10/24/2014
- A New Beginning - 10/25/2014