Concerns expressed about Dave Marshall Field
To the editor:
I read with interest the recent story about the replacement of Firestone High School and Litchfield Middle School. This is certainly an exciting project for West Akron. I am looking forward to watching the new buildings as they are constructed over the next several years.
I was kind of surprised to read that the baseball team might be required to temporarily relocate during the construction project. Dave Marshall Field is located across the street from the construction site of the two new buildings. I don’t understand why the field would be needed for any construction related activities.
I have heard a rumor that the marching band may be given permission to use Dave Marshall Field for marching practice during the summer and fall. I hope this isn’t true. The turf on the baseball field literally needs the remainder of the summer and fall to recover in time to be playable in the spring. If the band uses the field it will be damaged by the constant repetitive usage. The band could literally use the field until the snow flies and there won’t be any time for the turf to recover.
What is a little disconcerting about this proposition is that the reconstruction of Dave Marshall Field several years ago was accomplished with private donations by the community and contractors, as well as the parents, boosters and the coaches. Akron Public Schools made no contribution fiscally or otherwise to assist in the development of the new field. In fact, since the field was rebuilt, Akron Public Schools hasn’t spent any money on operating or maintaining the field. All of the field care and maintenance is being taken care of by the parents, boosters and the coaches.
I hope this rumor isn’t accurate. Essex School is sitting idle just a few blocks away. Why can’t the band use the fields behind Essex?
I hope this isn’t a situation where an asset is turned into a liability. But if true, it seems like that’s what will happen.
David Celik, West Akron
- Reader voting for Roemer
- Teacher supports Charney
- West Akron man wants ‘more for our buck’
- Richfield resident urging yes on Issues 10-11
- Student supports Prentice
- New Franklin woman wants Clinton to pay for police protection
- Parent/teacher supporting Springfield levies
- Coventry teacher requesting renewal of levy
- Coventry resident responds to superintendent
- New Franklin man promoting candidates
- Coventry board official asking for ‘yes’ vote
Calendar of Events
- A New Beginning - 10/25/2014
- Easy Street Band - 10/25/2014
- PAWS for Reading with service dog Molly - 10/25/2014
- Identifying Your Family Photographs - 10/25/2014
- Norton Women’s Club Craft and Gift Show - 10/25/2014